Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Flash sites cause instant reboot

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Sep-2006, 11:31 AM #1
Solved: Flash sites cause instant reboot
I've had a major problem for a few months now with some flash sites causing an instant reboot. There is no warning, no error message, nothing in event viewer. I've trawled the net, and it appears I'm not the only one to experience this problem. Solutions appear to be non-existant. Adobe and Macromedia do not acknowledge this on their site and getting hold of support is a mission in itself.

Specs

AMD 64 3200
1Gig ddr400
7800 GS (agp)
SB X-Fi
Win XP
Firefox 1.5.0.6

The only suggestion I came across which wasn't an out and out fantasy pointed fingers at sound and more likely, video drivers. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm fairly sure the problems started round about the time I bought them

It's become such a pain being linked to flash sites without warning that I've had to uninstall flah for the time being, so any clues would be greatly appreciated
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Sep-2006, 02:41 PM #2
I'm wondering if your power supply is adequate for everything you have connected. Some video cards when playing video, pull more power than when the screen is just sitting still.

15-Sep-2006, 02:59 PM #3
It's 400W, which should be adequate. I can't really see how a power problem would cause the machine to reboot rather than just crash it.
Everything else in the system works smoothly and as expected. I also have the "Incomplete Download" and "Invisible installation" scenarios with flash as I've seen described from other users here and on other forums. It takes several attempts to get it working.
Another puzzler is why some flash sites and not others?
I seriously wish someone out there in developer land would come up with an alternative
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,396 posts.

15-Sep-2006, 04:50 PM #4
What version of Flash do you have installed? Macromedia/Adobe have uninstallers that sometimes need to be used to remove older Flash versions before downloading the newer versions.

16-Sep-2006, 04:09 AM #5
atm I have no player installed, at least I don't think I have. I've used the Adobe Uninstaller, but the process comes to a halt at 93% and references the file "Killbrowser.exe" in my temp folder and just sits there. Pressing "cancel" takes it into a loop. To actually stop it I have to kill the process in "Task Manager". A manual delete of Killbrowser gets an error message saying "access denied- file in use blah blah". I have to go into safe-mode to get rid of it.

So maybe it's the uninstallation of previous versions which is causing the problem?

16-Sep-2006, 06:51 AM #6
Update

Following advice found elsewhere, I've (fingers crossed) found a solution which appears to have solved the problem. For anyone else who experiences this, it's a registry fix.
After using the Adobe Uninstall, run Regedit and navigate
Hkey_Local_Machine
Software
Macromedia
FlashPlayer
Delete Folder "Safe Versions" if present

Re-install Flash Player, and hopefully, Robert's yourmothers brother

Thanks for your time and thoughts Triple6 and AcaCandy

Appreciated!
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

16-Sep-2006, 12:45 PM #7
You can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu.

16-Sep-2006, 03:34 PM #8
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!