Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 238 posts.

Experience: Between Beginner and Intermediate
24-Sep-2006, 06:18 PM #1
Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program
created it. Is their a way to add file extensions to Windows little bag of tricks?

Case in point: McAfees Stinger makes a report .opt - Windows states that in order for
Windows to open this file Windows needs to know what program made it. Isn't there
someplace in the bowels of XP that I can add that .opt and no longer have to go through
the

If I change the .opt to .txt Windows can open it in Notepad but it has some strange chicken
scratch oh I know the chicken scratch has a name, I just don't know what it is at the moment
and that is not the point here anyway.

This one is terribly simple I know. By choosing the second option I'm able to pick from several programs.........but........

there are files that I download from the internet that once "filed away" seem to come apart at the seams and all I have
are the peices without the gluethreadscrewnail that held them together and made them so darn interesting in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program-stng.properties.opt.png   Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program-windows-cannot-open.png  
Attached Files
File Type: txt stung.260.txt (17 Bytes, 270 views)

Last edited by neos1; 24-Sep-2006 at 06:35 PM..
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

24-Sep-2006, 07:21 PM #2
The .opt file is for stinger to store configuration files - it doesn't need to be associated with a program as such, as Stinger will look for it when it is run.

If you don't want to keep them you can delete them and the next time stinger is used it will make another - why are you trying to open it?

Generally with unassociated file types, if you check 'Select the Program from a list' and select the program that you want to open the file with, it will associate that file with the program from then on - as long as the option 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' is checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neos1
there are files that I download from the internet that once "filed away" seem to come apart at the seams and all I have
are the peices without the gluethreadscrewnail that held them together and made them so darn interesting in the first place.
You've lost me there.
Computer Specs

24-Sep-2006, 11:01 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister
The .opt file is for stinger to store configuration files - it doesn't need to be associated with a program as such, as Stinger will look for it when it is run.

If you don't want to keep them you can delete them and the next time stinger is used it will make another - why are you trying to open it?

Because inquisitive minds want to know I have 5 or 6 of them litering my desktop, wouldn't you want to know what was in them?

Generally with unassociated file types, if you check 'Select the Program from a list' and select the program that you want to open the file with, it will associate that file with the program from then on - as long as the option 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' is checked.

You've lost me there.
For instance this file was taken by "save page as" off of Information Weeks Websight.
when I double click on it this is what I get.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program-2006-09-24_disconstruct.jpg  
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
25-Sep-2006, 12:11 AM #4
Quote:
Because inquisitive minds want to know I have 5 or 6 of them litering my desktop, wouldn't you want to know what was in them?
Uh.... No
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 05:42 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by neos1
For instance this file was taken by "save page as" off of Information Weeks Websight.
when I double click on it this is what I get.
Sorry, lost again. What has saving a webpage got to do with your questiion?
Senior Member with 246 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Sep-2006, 08:39 AM #6
errrr.... you mean you SAVE the webpage and then all you see are the individual parts... Well that's how webpages are built. When you save a webpage, unless you SAVE IT AS AN MHT file, you will get that structure.

as for the opt file extension, since it's related to stinger, it would usually be a configuration file that can be deleted. that's all...
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2006, 07:45 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticEyes
Uh.... No
Hey wasn't that a fine response. Shows your years of computer experience and incredible people skills
Keep up the good work!

Last edited by neos1; 29-Sep-2006 at 08:11 PM..
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2006, 07:47 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragjack
errrr.... you mean you SAVE the webpage and then all you see are the individual parts... Well that's how webpages are built. When you save a webpage, unless you SAVE IT AS AN MHT file, you will get that structure.

as for the opt file extension, since it's related to stinger, it would usually be a configuration file that can be deleted. that's all...
I have other webpages saved that work, none of them with an .MHT extension. I've tried to rename the file to get it to work.

Last edited by neos1; 29-Sep-2006 at 08:14 PM..
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2006, 07:56 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister
Sorry, lost again. What has saving a webpage got to do with your questiion?
I guess I didn't realize that I was looking at the peices of a webpage, and it dousn't have anything to do with it The original qestion
was about the .opt files that were appearing on my desktop which dragjack explained were configuration files(?) for the Stinger program,
and were unecessary.

It appears that I was asking two different questions and one of them was not configured very well.

Last edited by neos1; 29-Sep-2006 at 08:19 PM..
Computer Specs

10-Oct-2006, 11:14 PM #10
Now windows cannot open Defender
Now Windows XP is telling me that it cannot open Windows Defender or Adobe Speed reader
launch.

When I log on and am waiting for everything to load, a pop up telling me windows cannot
open Adobe Speed Reader.

When I click on Windows Defender to run it, a pop up tells me the Windows cannot...

Ewido, McAfee, and Spybot come up clean when I run the scans.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program-windows-cannot-open-file.jpg  

11-Oct-2006, 05:41 AM #11
from what i see you are trying to access Windows Defender from a link. Try finding the program itself and see if you can run it from base folder.

right-click on the shortcut on your desktop, and click on the PROPERTIES item at the bottom of that menu. Click on the Find target button (see my attachment) That should take you to the root folder of the application. If that is empty, then the application was uninstalled or deleted. If not, then reestablish the link by selecting the Windows Defender executable.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program-target.jpg  

11-Oct-2006, 05:43 AM #12
also, have you got the latest Windows Updates???
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2006, 06:25 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragjack
also, have you got the latest Windows Updates???
they came in a couple of days ago and I allowed all to be loaded, although when it reads
"these updates cannot be uninstalled makes one a little nervous.

Just have time enoughe before work to post this. Why would all my short cuts all of a sudden have .lnk on them?
Now that I think of it , this all started when I installed a download manager.
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2006, 06:38 AM #14
I'm not getting the same graphic as your attch.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Windows cannot open this file: To open this file Windows needs to know what program-file-properties.jpg  
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2006, 11:29 PM #15
I've just reread your post and the reason why I'm not getting the same properties box is
because I have no shortcut to Windows Defender on my desktop I have the file in programs
on C:, and it listed in the programs list in add and remove and in the programs list in >Start>
All Programs but it is as if its not loaded. Here is something that may help. I installed DAP
for my download manager. Seems these problems started then.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!