Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: symantec antivirus not updating

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Nov-2006, 02:17 PM #1
Solved: symantec antivirus not updating
Antivirus won't update...I get an error message saying LU1847: Live update could not determine if there is an update for this product because the update list for this product is corrupted. Pls. help!!!
Junior Member with 13 posts.

08-Nov-2006, 03:01 PM #2
You can try the following steps from Symantec:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...03122213384913

Alternately, you can always reinstall.
Member with 5,633 posts.

08-Nov-2006, 03:08 PM #3
The Symantec Knowledgebase only has one article about LU 1847 but it is very old and refers to some removal tools that Symantec no longer provides so I think it would be useless to try and follow its advice (complete uninstall and reinstall).

Have you tried the Automatic Support function on the Symantec website or, if your product is new enough, you may be able to get email support; http://www.symantec.com/en/us/home_h...port/index.jsp

If you feel like an attempt at a D I Y solution you could try replacing the Live Update files, just in case that helps; http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html (the version at the top of the list is probably the right one but check the Readme.txt file first)
Member with 5,633 posts.

08-Nov-2006, 03:14 PM #4
So much for the Symantec Knowledgebase!! The article nastynas found is right on target and I assume it will involve using the Intelligent Updater option.
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2006, 04:09 PM #5
Thks Togg it downloaded successfully
Member with 5,633 posts.

08-Nov-2006, 04:23 PM #6
The LU file comes as an .exe that you have to doubleclick on to install doesn't it? (I had NAV a few years ago and had to replace mine, but things may have changed since then!)

If you've already got the new version installed, has it worked? The Intelligent Updater on the Symantec website should still work to keep you up to date while you work on a permanent fix for LU.
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2006, 05:06 PM #7
Yes, I installed and rebooted and all systems back to normal...Thks Togg
Member with 5,633 posts.

08-Nov-2006, 07:30 PM #8
Glad to hear it, it beats an uninstall reinstall!. I once had to do that when I had NAV 2003 and it didn't give me any trouble, but uninstalling the newer versions can be a pain.

You can mark this solved by clicking on the red triangle at the top right of your post.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!