Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to make downloading completely anonymous

(!)

Member with 110 posts.

11-Nov-2006, 11:56 PM #1
How to make downloading completely anonymous
Now, I don't necessarily use downloading for illegal means, but in today's world I am very paranoid about my anonymity on the net.

Do proxy server programs do an effective job of protecting your online identity? Are there any services (Mac OS X) that are recommended, even if they are subscription?

James
Member with 17,584 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 02:00 AM #2
Without an IP address, you simply cannot convey data.

Using proxy servers will obfuscate the IP address, but it always remains indelibly traceable, just more difficult to do so. Also a lot slower.

I guess its simply a matter that if one has little to hide, one has little to fear.

Or the inverse ...
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
12-Nov-2006, 05:03 AM #3
Quote:
I guess its simply a matter that if one has little to hide, one has little to fear.
Tell that to all the recently released Death Row inmates when DNA testing proved them innocent, after rotting a few decades in jail.
Member with 110 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 11:32 AM #4
The issue here is your right to privacy. I could be trying to do this for the innocent reason that I am trying to deter marketers from infiltrating my desktop. It is not as simple as you make it with your "little to fear" remark.

The point is that we need to protect our privacy because it is our right.
Member with 74 posts.

Experience: Getting Better
12-Nov-2006, 11:51 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Crosso
The issue here is your right to privacy. I could be trying to do this for the innocent reason that I am trying to deter marketers from infiltrating my desktop. It is not as simple as you make it with your "little to fear" remark.

The point is that we need to protect our privacy because it is our right.
Since our rights are slowly being chipped away from us, we need to do all we can do. I too wish there was services that allowed that. I know there is TOR and others, but also there is a chance that all major software for anonmity sold in the US has backdoors.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
12-Nov-2006, 02:07 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles7514
Since our rights are slowly being chipped away from us, we need to do all we can do. I too wish there was services that allowed that. I know there is TOR and others, but also there is a chance that all major software for anonmity sold in the US has backdoors.
The current administration has certainly hastened that process in the guise of protecting us. Hacked away would be a more appropriate term.

As to the original question maybe some help here:

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

http://www.the-cloak.com/anonymous-surfing-home.html

http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox,privacy

http://www.all-nettools.com/library,privacy,4
Member with 17,584 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 03:47 PM #7
A proxy server will mask your "identity" from all "marketing" issues of "infiltrating" you desktop (though in using the internet for 12 years this "marketing" activity has never occurred for me, with no proxy used).

For your identity to be revealed through proxy servers, the parties would require Police search warrants to reveal which IP addresses were used incoming and outgoing.

"Marketing" parties will never have that ability, only law enforcement will have.

Even better is to have a dynamic IP which changes periodically (or at every connect, for dial-up). In NZ, one has to pay extra for a permanent IP address, ~95% of the connections are using dynamic IP's.
Trusted Advisor with 19,648 posts.

13-Nov-2006, 07:44 PM #8
Sometimes I feel like we have too many rights. Some days I feel we should be restricted just a little bit more because some people just take there freedom to the extreme. I don't know what anonymous surfing has to do with Marketers Infilitrating your desktop. Doesn't make any sense to me. What exactly do you mean by that.

There are a couple of options for surfing anononymously.

You could use Tor, iPig, TorPark and some of the web based proxies.

14-Nov-2006, 10:23 AM #9
Hi James,

Here is a link to Dr Who's Security and Encryption FAQ version 20.6:
http://privacy.li/security_faq.htm

Read it carefully and in the process learn how to protect your online identity.

-- Tom
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Nov-2006, 10:34 AM #10
IMO, most of the measures in that security FAQ are way over the top for the average user. You'd spend more time securing your system than using it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!