Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

ULTRA COMPRESS a file

(!)

Member with 306 posts.

17-Nov-2006, 11:01 PM #1
Red face ULTRA COMPRESS a file
well, someone please tell me if i'm doing it wrong, my goal was to make a file as small as possible:

i use winrar to rar up a file, then i place it in an empty folder, then i rar it up again, again i place the rar file in an empty folder, then rar it up again.....

the file began to get smaller and smaller, i repeated the process a couple of times, but i can't help but think that this doesn't seem to be the proper way, so can someone tell me if what i was doing is correct and an effective way of shrinking down a file? will the file become damage and unextractable after too many times?

many thanks for theh help
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Nov-2006, 11:41 AM #2
Nope, that's not really a way to do this. While the first iteration of this technique results in a tiny reduction, that's where the "progress" stops. Here's a test of compressing a bunch of files, then compressing the compressed image over and over. Note the size doesn't keep decreasing.

The reason for the initial small decrease is the file names are not compressed in the initial archive, so you can actually get a small additional compression the first time, but it's not worth the effort.

Initial Compression: 3,858,903 PGMS.rar
Second Compression: 3,849,974 PGMS2.rar
Third Compression: 3,850,047 PGMS3.rar
Forth Compression: 3,850,120 PGMS4.rar

Bottom line? There is no effective way to keep compressing a compressed file, or there'd be a commercial application that did it.
Member with 306 posts.

18-Nov-2006, 07:51 PM #3
you're rigt, i shoud have realized that, i tried winrar,7zip,kgb, and in the end, my 50mb files gets shrink down to 49.8mb, and will go no futher.

i was so foolish to think that i could compress a file, but no wi understand, thank you for your help, thanks.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Nov-2006, 09:26 PM #4
No problem.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!