Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: VOB to MP3

(!)

Morny Morny is offline Morny has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 735 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jan-2007, 03:01 PM #1
Solved: VOB to MP3
Hi
I have burnt to DVD, on the hard drive DVD recorder, some of my music and was hoping to put them on my computer to play at my leisure. However, they turned out to be VOB and BUP. There were several files to one piece of music. Please could you tell me the best way to convert these files to MP3? I searched on Google and downloaded several pieces of software to no avail. One advised to download WiDVD, wich I did but not sure if I need this? However, it still didn't convert any of the files.
I look forward to hearing from you because I would so much love to hear this music on my PC.
With kindest regards
Maureen
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
26-Jan-2007, 04:01 PM #2
Get Audacity set it to record then start your DVD. You can then use Audacity to trim and convert to Mp3, you'll have to get the LAME encoder and install it per their instructions.
Computer Specs
Member with 735 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 08:23 AM #3
Hi MysticEyes, I have Audacity already but only gave it a quick try yesterday. Many thanks for your help. I am going to try this again now.
Kindest regards
Maureen
Computer Specs
Member with 735 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 08:33 AM #4
Didn't work, I'm afraid and I think this is what I had yesterday. I don't believe it supports the file type and can only export as raw material. I did convert one file to MP3 (0 KB) but WMA said it didn't recognise the file type. Perhaps I shall have to get some other software. I believe the file type is an MPEG3 so someone should have something? Maybe someone from TechGuy knows of something? The actual file extension is VOB
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jan-2007, 08:46 AM #5
The way Mystic was telling you to do it was to start playing the VOB file in a media player, whichever one you use to watch DVD's. Then as it's playing use Audacity to record the audio from your soundcard, real-time recording. It will record as a wav file, but you can use Audacity to export it as Mp3.
Computer Specs
Member with 735 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 09:02 AM #6
Please could you explain (to a novice) how to get Audacity to record? I have Media Player open and it plays the music but where do I go from here on Audacity, please?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 09:21 AM #7
Well I don't have Audacity and have a different wave editor, but basically you hit the record button.

Go into Control Panel > Sound and Audio devices, on the volume tab hit 'Advanced' > Options > Properties, click on recording > OK you should a screen like the one pictured below. On mine I have 'Wave out mix' checked which will record from the soundcard. Yours might be different depending on your soundcard, but you should check something similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: VOB to MP3-sp32-9.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 735 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 09:30 AM #8
I'd just that minute come away from the sound settings and hit OK and have the settings as you suggested. But the thing is ..... how does this then record the song from WMA, please?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 09:35 AM #9
It should now record anything that's coming out of your speakers. If it's setup right when you open Audacity you should see the volume level indicators going up and down. You might have to play with the volume so that the levels are in the middle (not too high, not too low).
Computer Specs
Member with 735 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 09:48 AM #10
Done it!! BUT I don't have any wave bars?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 09:55 AM #11
It's been a couple years since I've used Audacity, so I might be thinking of another app. If you play the recording back and the volume is close to the original, you should be OK.
Computer Specs
Member with 735 posts.

27-Jan-2007, 10:40 AM #12
As I posted the last reply, I had to admit the sound was OK but it's just that I was expecting to see the audio waves like I do when I convert other files/extensions. I did play about with the output sound as well. Thank you very much in deed for your help and above all .... patience!!
With kindest regards
Maureen x
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
27-Jan-2007, 02:51 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morny
As I posted the last reply, I had to admit the sound was OK but it's just that I was expecting to see the audio waves like I do when I convert other files/extensions. I did play about with the output sound as well. Thank you very much in deed for your help and above all .... patience!!
With kindest regards
Maureen x
What do you mean by 'audio waves'. You should see the VU meters on the right dancing while you record and the ones on the left when playing. You'll need to play around with your settings to get it right, but it only has to be close as you can adjust things later. You can use one of the Effects to up/down the volume if needed (a couple ways to do this). Read the guide/help file it's a very versatile app.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/documentation

Here's a screenshot of audacity playing back a DVD I just recorded. It may be slightly 'hot' but I can use Audacity to set it to 'Normalize to -3 db', or if it was low, 'Amplify' (Normalize would also work) and set a level there (-3 db works well all around).
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: VOB to MP3-1audplayt.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 735 posts.

30-Jan-2007, 06:50 AM #14
Thank you MysticEyes - I understand. I do have one more question either for you or Stantley?
What I have done is record from LP to DVD hard drive recorder and then burnt it to disc, making sure I only put a small selection on each time to retain the highest quality. Then transfer it to my computer. The LP plays really well BUT when I play it on my PC, it sort of judders here and there for a fleeting second through most of the songs. I can't make it out because there isn't anything wrong when I play it on the DVD recorder. It's only once I play it on the PC.
Do you have any ideas how to overcome this problem, please?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

30-Jan-2007, 06:59 AM #15
Hi Morny,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morny
What I have done is record from LP to DVD hard drive recorder...Then transfer it to my computer.
Why don't you record it directly to the computer, via line-in?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!