Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: fax on cable internet?

(!)

Registered User with 53 posts.

15-Feb-2007, 07:24 PM #1
Solved: fax on cable internet?
I got rid of my landline and went cellular, and have cable internet. is there any way I can fax over the internet, without having a home phone number? I do have a fax/printer, am running XP. thank you
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

15-Feb-2007, 07:37 PM #2
You need to subscribe to an on-line FAX service, which will cost you. Truthfully, I'd probably just get one of the cheap VoIP services which will give you a landline and you can use it to FAX. I use my Vonage line to FAX, and there are cheaper services.

15-Feb-2007, 07:40 PM #3
You can't use a fax machine via your computer. A fax machine needs a phone line: either a land line or a VOIP line.

As JohnWill said, the only way to fax via broadband is to sign up and pay for an online service.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 121 posts.

Experience: OOPS! Fixed it
15-Feb-2007, 10:12 PM #4
I use eFax.com. it's 17.00 a month and they give you your own fax number so people can send you faxes. They show up in your email and you can, of course, send faxes from your pc to a fax machine. For me, it's cheaper than any land line I could get and it's all I really need. They have a limit on how many pages you can transfer per month though. it's 30 out going and 120 incoming if I remember.
Computer Specs

16-Feb-2007, 07:15 PM #5
For the same money, you can have a VoIP line and have a land line AND FAX. Oh, and you won't have any limit on sending and receiving FAXes.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2007, 01:41 AM #6
can you please tell me where to find these as i have a voip service but it says i cannot fax with it, packet 8. so what kind of internet fax service is good that will send faxes to a fax phone number ..not to an email?
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2007, 07:18 AM #7
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: DOS trained way back in the late 70s
11-Jul-2007, 10:46 AM #8
Are there Internet Fax programs that work with Vonage?
Hi. I found you while looking for programs that work with vonage. You said that you had vonage. My multifunction unit just died... at least the scanner did... it keeps saying "scanner failure turn off and on". The printer works fine, I can't fax if the scanner doesn't work. Any ideas. Money is real tight since I just got laid off again. Are there Internet Fax programs (free or cheap) that work with Vonage on Comcast?
Thanks for this service. Sparkle7777
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2007, 03:06 PM #9
I have used my Brother FAX machine and a USR modem and FAX software with Vonage, both have worked just fine.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2007, 04:47 PM #10
Thanks.
Thanks. I'd hate to find the wrong stuff only to find that it doesn't work. Vonage says that internet software won't work... I guss they want you to get a 2nd line.
Dolores
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2007, 06:22 PM #11
Their second "FAX" line is just another limited line, it has the same characteristics as the first line.
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2007, 09:09 AM #12
Thanks for that tidbit... they didn't point that one out.
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2007, 09:15 AM #13
I had the FAX line for a couple of months, but for the few faxes I do, it seemed pointless. You can also make calls on it, just like the regular service.
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2007, 09:43 AM #14
faxes and multifunction units
Thanks for that one too. I did manage to get a few faxes out yesterday... but just after that heavy lid slipped out of my hand and dropped a few inches... it was back to "scanner function" again. I guess the previous ower dropped it a few times too before I got it at the yerd sale. There must be something loose somewhere that gets jogged enough to cause the malfunction when it is jogged. Not sure what I did to get it to work again. Maybe the dusting the table was all it took. I'll look for prices for repairing it and for replacing it. Thanks again.
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2007, 04:40 PM #15
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!