Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How do I install driver for Canon scanner?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Feb-2007, 08:27 PM #1
Angry Solved: How do I install driver for Canon scanner?
This should be a simple, automatic procedure, but it is not working. I have a Canon N1240U flatbed scanner. it wasn't used for awhile, so I plugged it back in (it connects with USB; there is no other power). Immediately the computer sees it and announces it. But it won't work, can't find the driver, so I go looking for it, get it from the Canon site, and that should be it...it says on the site that you download it, and it will unzip and install itself. however, I get the file downloaded, then click on it to extract it, and it goes through the process of extraction. But I can't find the extracted files anywhere...where are they? It is supposed to self-install, but I've tried several times and ntohing happens.

Please help...tearing hair out...using bad language...probably dumb question/easy solution...
new tech guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

16-Feb-2007, 09:30 PM #2
Well what OS are you using and are the files compatible with winxp? Usually you extract and when you close the window the installer should start but if the drivers are not made for xp, it probably will not work... Have you tried leaving the device disconnected and installing the drivers first?
Senior Member with 2,312 posts.

16-Feb-2007, 09:38 PM #3
CanoScan N1240U KnowledgeBase
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

16-Feb-2007, 09:46 PM #4
I'm running Windows XP and it says the drives is for XP.

I did try to install it without connecting it first...didn't change a thing...it always gets to the extract process, goes through it, and then nothing.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 12:15 AM #5
I have followed the exact procedure on the Canon support page. I did it exactly that same way even before reading their instructions, becasue this is nothing more than a typical driver install; nothing to it, done it a thousand times.

I have tried installing this with the scanner connected, and with it unconnected. It makes no difference. what happens is that I double click on the downloaded zipped file, it extracts, I can see it go into "blah blah blah canon setup", then the blue line completes as if it is good to go, it goes away, but it has failed to install.

I have posted the zip file for the download. Can anyone please check it out? Maybe send it to me unzipped and I can install it manually...? I have no idea why this damn scanner won't install...I have used the scanner for years, with THIS computer...
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 12:19 AM #6
Sorry..the file is 5MB, so i guess I can't upload it...it's at http://alpha03u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 12:55 AM #7
What is the directory the scanner extracts to. If we dont know the exact directory we cant really help you to much.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 02:14 AM #8
I'm embarrased to admit it, but I can't figure out what directory it unzips to...how do I determine that?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 10:28 AM #9
If you have WinZIP installed (if not, get it), you can right click on the file and unzip the contents to the folder of your choice. Then you'll be able to find it.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 01:58 PM #10
Ok, I unzipped to the desktop, but I realize the problem is slightly different than I have stated it. I checked in control panel and found the scanner installed under "scanners and printers." I ran the "test scanner" diagnostic and I could hear the scanner functioning, doing a run-through, etc, and at the end, I was told that the scanner is working fine.

What is missing is the software that allows me to tell it what to do, for lack of better words. In other words, I can press the "scan" button to my heart's content, and I don't get the dialog box asking me "do you want to scan?" Or asks for settings, etc. You know, the software...aarrgghhh....you know what I mean...I would assume that would be installed as a part of the driver package, but after many, many tries, I see that's not the case...if this was Tuesday morning I'd call Canon...
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 01:59 PM #11
Ok, I unzipped to the desktop, but I realize the problem is slightly different than I have stated it. I checked in control panel and found the scanner installed under "scanners and printers." I ran the "test scanner" diagnostic and I could hear the scanner functioning, doing a run-through, etc, and at the end, I was told that the scanner is working fine.

What is missing is the software that allows me to tell it what to do, for lack of better words. In other words, I can press the "scan" button to my heart's content, and I don't get the dialog box asking me "do you want to scan?" Or asks for settings, etc. You know, the software...aarrgghhh....you know what I mean...I would assume that would be installed as a part of the driver package, but after many, many tries, I see that's not the case...if this was Tuesday morning I'd call Canon...
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 02:20 PM #12
Well we got the drivers see if the cannon website has the other software for it too. Or just pull out its disk and install the software.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 02:29 PM #13
As I said originally, I didn't have the driver so I had to download it from Canon...if I had had the disk I don't think I would have had this problem...

Anyway, the problem is resolved. I just assumed that the driver download would include the software, and it doesn't. I downloaded Canon Toolbox, and now all is well. I am way out of practice on basic stuff, I guess...thanks for the responses, everyone.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Feb-2007, 04:56 PM #14
Also, once the scanner drivers are installed, any graphics application that has TWAIN capability should be able to scan using the scanner. I never install the toolbox with a scanner, since I don't ever intend to use it that way.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!