Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Word 2003 always opens with split window

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Mar-2007, 03:19 PM #1
Word 2003 always opens with split window
I have to manually go to the Windows menu and click "remove split/" How do I restore a Normal view? Thanks.
Senior Member with 550 posts.

Experience: Lots of Dunkin' Donuts Coffee baby!!
23-Mar-2007, 10:07 PM #2
You could try deleting your normal.dot file which is simply the template you see everytime you open Word (Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<CURRENT USER>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates).

After deleting it, next time you open Word, it creates a new normal.dot and you're back in business...

Let us know if not...
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

24-Mar-2007, 12:19 AM #3
Hi, deleting the Word normal.dot file did not work. Ideas more than welcome! Thanks.
Senior Member with 550 posts.

Experience: Lots of Dunkin' Donuts Coffee baby!!
24-Mar-2007, 09:31 PM #4
PianoJoe, are you certain the file was deleted from the right profile? Won't hurt to do same to all user profile you pc has...

Beyond that you can try correcting the remove split problem and save as template named normal.dot and cross your fingers next time you open.

Beyond that, I suppose uninstall and reinstall may finally do the trick...
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

25-Mar-2007, 12:21 AM #5
The normal.dot template was located in only one user profile. After deleting it, Word kept opening with the split window, and trying to save a corrected window as normal.dot was not allowed by the system without changing the name to be saved. Oh, well - your help is much appreciated. Some problems just won't go away and we have to live with them. Many thanks for trying to assist me.
Member with 587 posts.

25-Mar-2007, 10:51 PM #6
Maybe you don't have to "live with" this problem
I don't think this forum is here to make you "live with" a problem you posted. Let's keep trying.

A good MS help and support document can be found here. It contains several ways to fix various settings in MS Word. You may have a problem with the normal.dot file or one of the registry settings. You may have to try several before the fix is found.

Please let us know which (if any) works.
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

25-Mar-2007, 11:25 PM #7
I was lucky in that the first fix worked. I simply restored Word to its default settings. It's easy enough to reconfigure settings. I am very grateful, not only for the solution, but for your "let's keep trying" philosophy.
Member with 587 posts.

26-Mar-2007, 12:13 AM #8
Glad I could help. You may mark your thread "Solved" by clicking the Thread Tools at the top of the page and choosing that option.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!