Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Call display on my computer?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,952 posts.

05-Apr-2007, 12:44 PM #1
Call display on my computer?
This is going to be a weird question but I've looked other places and just can't find an answer.

I live in a condo so I have this special set up where I have my DSL connection through my satellite TV (which is on the roof of the building).

When someone calls me the caller ID flashes on my TV. I was wondering if I could get that to flash on my computer screen as well.

Is that even possible with dsl?

I called the satellite people and they had no clue (as usual).

Anyone have any ideas?
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,596 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Apr-2007, 01:36 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola2001
special set up where I have my DSL connection through my satellite TV (which is on the roof of the building).
That has got to be one one VERY special set up. DSL has got nothing to do with satellite TV as far as I know. A DSL modem connects to the internet through a telephone line. Your PC would then normally connect to the DSL modem with a USB or CAT5 (Ethernet) cable.

By any chance do you have a satellite receiver box connected to the TV that can display the caller ID information. If so, does that satellite receiver also have a telephone line connected to it? If so, then there is a very good chance that the satellite receiver is displaying the caller ID information that is on the phone line for an incoming call.

Does your PC have a telephone line fax/data modem built-in. If so you should be able to find software that will decode the caller ID information for a telephone line connected to that modem and display it on the screen. I have never used such software but a Google search for Caller ID windows software gave many hits for sites that offer such software.

It may be cheaper and less bother to simply get a telephone with caller ID or an inexpensive Caller ID box and keep it next to the PC. That way you can see the caller ID information if the PC and TV are both off.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,952 posts.

08-Apr-2007, 03:14 PM #3
Thanks for the information.

Yes, my satellite receiver box displays the caller ID on the TV..because I subscribe to the service, otherwise it doesn't work.

I do have a phone with caller ID but just thought it would be convienient to have it pop up on the computer as well since they are both from the same company.

My DSL modem and my satellite receiver are one and the same with a CAT5 cable running from the receiver to the computer and a separate cable running to the TV.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2007, 04:23 PM #4
Do you know if your computer has a telephone modem that supports caller ID?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,952 posts.

08-Apr-2007, 07:18 PM #5
No, I just have a nic card, that's it.
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2007, 11:31 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola2001
No, I just have a nic card, that's it.
Then I suspect that there is no way to get the caller ID through the network connection unless your DSL/satellite box has that function and you have matching software on the PC to display it.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

19-Jul-2008, 12:24 PM #7
Caller ID
I live out in the desert and have broadband via satellite, Verizon who does not provide caller id in our area. I had caller ID through AOl but retrieving messages was a nightmare and sometimes impossible. Is there a way to get caller ID through my computer? Thank you so much.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!