Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Application Launcher error

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Apr-2007, 05:55 PM #1
Application Launcher error
Hi,

Recently I had a problem with my Norton antivirus so I had to remove all components of the software and reinstall it. Unfortunately, after doing all that, I have been having problems with my computer. When I start up, an error message saying 'Unable to load configuration' pops up. I have no clue where this error is coming from. Also after a while (no definite time) my internet connection will just die and I am unable to launch either Firefox or IE. Plus when the internet connection gives out, I'm am pretty much unable to use any other application on my computer and have to restart.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem or if anyone has any idea what the problem is.

Thanks,
DeMarHc
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-May-2007, 11:43 PM #2
I had a similar expereince with NAV 2007. but only with the error msg "Application Launcher - Unable to load configuration". I had been using Norton Internet Security 2005 and after I uninstalled it using Symantec's Norton removal tool, installed NAV2007 with the latest version directly from Symantec as of May 6. 07 NAV071420.exe. I contacted Tech Support via Live Chat and was provided with very POOR support by the tech. I asked to have it escallated and was soon speaking to a supervisor. I was told that this error has never been reported before. For anyone seeking support, please feel free to use my chat ID 189490 as this problem being reported. The supervisors name that I was chating with was Shakul. I spent over an hour chatting with him, removing various temp files, doing a disk cleanup (somethng I do regularly as I do with temp files), a defrag, symantec on-line system and on-line virus check - neither which reported any problems.

Next I was provided with instructions to run msconfig and remove all but Micrsoft and symantec programs from executing on startup. Well I run few programs on startup as is, but am following instructions given. I just removed NAV07 again, using their removal tool, which left rements. I then removed all Symantec programs via add remove programs in Control Pannel, then manually deleted all sharred symantec folders in Windows. After rebooting I still get the error. I am about to edit the registry to remove all instances of symantec and norton. This is very frustrating! So far after I click OK, the program itself, before I just deleted it again, seemed to run OK.

If anyone else is exerienceing this problem, please report it to Symantec and ref my chat ID above. Before my case was escallated, I was advised to remove and reinstall Microsoft Windows Installer. From what I read in the KB, apparently it pertains for systems running ver 3.1 ver 1 of MSI.DLL, what the latest version does after dl is to install ver 2, something I already have. I seem to be running in circles with Symantec - frustrating to say the least!
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-May-2007, 05:27 AM #3
Hi there,

I finally figured out what was wrong and where the error message was coming from. It was from the application manager for my mobile phone. I don't use the app very often so I had no clue that was there was anything wrong with that app til recently. I have no idea why after reinstalling Norton that app failed to run. I had to uninstall and reinstall the app and now my computer is working fine. No error message at startup either.

Just for anyone's reference, I am using a Sony Ericsson phone and the software mentioned is the download manager that comes with the phone to transfer ringtones/photos to the computer or vice versa.

DeMarHc

09-May-2007, 05:39 AM #4
application error
HI
now theres a coincidence i have just updated from norton 2006 to 2007 and am getting app launch error i also have a sony ericsson phone reloaed software for this and hey presto its gone......

21-Aug-2007, 07:17 AM #5
Norton Application Launcher ERROR
Yeh i had this error after uninstalling Norton System Works 2006 - I cantacted Norton who tried a few things which didnt work as well as blocking internet explorer! They told me to ring microsoft who were excellent in their service and discovered that the problem lay in the file oleaut32.dll which has been corrupted. After re-installing this file from the XP disc the system now runs OK. I think Norton should take some responsibility about this and should know of this corruption error. Thank you Microsoft anyway for resloving the problem. Its good to get a positive result!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!