Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Brand new computer but wireless network keeps kicking me off. ??

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

22-Apr-2007, 08:45 AM #1
Unhappy Brand new computer but wireless network keeps kicking me off. ??
Hi,

I recently purchased a new desktop that runs XP Pro, SP2. I had to install a PCMIA wireless card and chose the Belkin wireless g card. I installed it as directed.

I have had a Belkin router for the past year for our two laptops and it works beautifully.

However, this desktop will connect to the internet initially, but after awhile (I can't determine a steady time period--anywhere between 20 minutes to 2 hours) it will lose the connection. It will see the wireless network and see that it has "excellent strength" but it will not connect.

When I try to click "repair connection" through Windows, it will repair it for about 2 minutes, then kick me off.

When I originally tried to repair the connection using the Belkin utility, it would see the signal strength but not connect, period.

So far I have tried:
  • de-checking the Belkin program from startup (through msconfig)
  • exchanging the desktop wireless card at Microcenter

I don't know what to do next. I have hardly had this computer a few weeks and don't use it much b/c of this problem, so I doubt it is a virus.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.
Senior Member with 894 posts.

22-Apr-2007, 01:52 PM #2
Hi,

Try using a different channel from the default for the Router and PCMIA wireless cards.

You may be getting interference from another nearby Wireless Network or other wireless devices such as cordless phones.

hth

Ceri

Edit typo

Last edited by ceri sheeran; 22-Apr-2007 at 02:23 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!