Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How can you stop programs from starting at boot ?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: semi - intermediate
18-May-2007, 11:15 PM #1
How can you stop programs from starting at boot ?
Hi, I have tiny Hard - Drive. So , Every time I reboot, I go into task manager and end like 10 or more programs, which still allows my computer to run normally..
My question is ..... How can you gets these programs to not boot on start - up ?
Is there a way ?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,990 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-May-2007, 11:25 PM #2
Yes, you run Msconfig, here's how http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html

You can go here for more info on startup programs http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

18-May-2007, 11:56 PM #3
thanks
Thanyou, that worked.
My wife like yahoo. I dont. Dont trust it lol. Anyways. when I try to unistall yahoo toolbar, my computer shuts down.. and in msconfig. the program starts anyways after unchecking the box. (per say) the program come on after reboot anyhow >?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 475 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-May-2007, 12:03 AM #4
As a relatively new computer user, I find free WinPatrol more comfortable and friendly. It has other value added features as well. To control what starts with windows, just right click the little Scotty dog in the Notification area and select "Startup." to stop a program simply click it once to highlight it and then hit "Disable." It does not affect your ability to open the program manually, and it does not remove it from the list. At anytime you can go back, highlight and select "enable," and it will once again start with Windows. You can even use WinPatrol to stop itself from auto startup if you wish. http://www.winpatrol.com/

For what I have learned about controlling my processes, with URLs of useful tools and informational sites, see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/ To visit the "links" copy and paste the URL to your browser address bar in a new tab. No gimicks, no commercials, nothing but info.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

19-May-2007, 12:13 AM #5
Tnks
Thankyou for your time and help...
Computer Specs
Member with 6,990 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-May-2007, 01:03 AM #6
Try uninstalling Yahoo in Safe mode. Press F8 when booting up, select Safe mode, then go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,408 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-May-2007, 02:52 AM #7
Yeah,Yahoo! Messenger automatically starts with Windows everytime you reboot.There is a specific method on how to do this.Do exactly as the following:-

1)Open Yahoo! Messenger
2)Sign in as a user(This is very important.)
3)Click on "Messenger" and select "Preferences" or else just press Ctrl+Shift+P directly.
4)Go to the "General" Tab and uncheck the first box which should be:-

When I start up my computer:
[] Automatically start Yahoo! Messenger.

5)Click on "Apply".
6)As a safety precaution,verify your other settings and click "Ok".

This will stop Yahoo! Messenger from adding itself to the Start-up list automatically.It is as simple as that.But remember,after you uncheck the box,also uncheck it in the Start-up Tab in "msconfig".This will completely remove it from the Start-up list solving your problem.Good Luck.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

19-May-2007, 10:03 AM #8
Thanks soo much
Thankyou,

That was easy .. Duh.... Sometimes I'm soo stupid.. I've been trying to figure why yahoo can over power my other settings and program . lol cause of the yahoo prefenences = never would have figured it out ... tnks

But I really appreciate the replies on this. I have other problems listed in securty section. Maybe some one look at my last HJC longs and Super Anti Spywear logs.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!