Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

MSN messenger will not Open - shows up in windows task messenger

(!)

Member with 228 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 08:17 PM #1
MSN messenger will not Open - shows up in windows task messenger
I try to open messenger but it just runs in background it seems. I downloaded the latest copy of live today installed it and then installed(repaired) again but no success.

I can see msnmsgr.exe in windows task messenger in the process list. But if I click it again then i see TWO msnmsgr.exe processes in the list and then three if i try to open the third time and so on...

no clue where to start i don't have SP2 installed but that is another thread.
Member with 228 posts.

27-Jun-2007, 12:50 PM #2
ttt
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Jul-2007, 08:54 PM #3
MSN won't launch
Hi Bhav,

Have you found a fix for your MSN issue?

I have the same problem, it just started a few days ago. I haven't installed anything new and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

Windows messenger works though.

Hope you can help me!

AC
Member with 228 posts.

27-Jul-2007, 05:23 AM #4
one trick that seems to make it work 'temporarily' is when MSN won't start, unplug the network cable. As soon as u see MSN pop Up(no more than 2 mins) u can plug it back in.

hope this helps
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2007, 07:09 AM #5
MSN will not open
Thanks for getting back to me.

Tried disconnecting from the network, MSN opened but as soon as I reconnected to the network MSN stopped responding and I had to end task.

I've noticed that when I shut down the computer, I have to end task on MSN as well. It is definately conflicting with something!

Willa
Member with 228 posts.

27-Jul-2007, 11:38 AM #6
yes i had that problem too....also do you have SP2? since i have installed SP2 it has been a little better. i seem to crash if i try to make or receive a 'phone call' or 'video call'. i am using paltalk as an alternative and it works great.

i would still try the network cable trick. after plugging network cable back-wait for connection to be established...1 minute or so-then sign in....do not type anything or move mouse before hand!!!!!!!

if u find a solution please post. thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

27-Jul-2007, 12:04 PM #7
Have you ran a spyware and virus scan
Member with 228 posts.

27-Jul-2007, 12:35 PM #8
yes spybot and housecall - online
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2007, 02:29 PM #9
MSN will not launch
Yes, I have ran Spybot and anti-virus. I have had SP2 for a while now and the problem started just a week ago.

I am using a wireless network, so I have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting. But as soon as I reconnect, MSN freezes.

My husband is pretty good with computers, he is going to have a look. The thinks moving MSN up in computer launch priority will work....we will see. He also suggested try deleting all MSN related files and do a clean reinstall. I guess even if you uninstall and reinstall from download, residual MSN files are still there and the download only replaces any missing components but does not update or fix any that are already there.

What does not make sense to me is why did it start all of a sudden. I haven't installed anything new....I have been using Skype which has not been affected...what is weird is that windows messenger works...just not MSN...so not a port issue.

AC
Junior Member with 2 posts.

25-Aug-2007, 11:10 PM #10
I'm having the same problem
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Aug-2007, 07:36 PM #11
I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant, but I have a problem with the "hosts file" on my msn and it won't let me sign in.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

03-Sep-2007, 02:48 PM #12
try this
shut everything down - your pc, modem and router
restart everything
Junior Member with 1 posts.

25-Sep-2007, 12:01 PM #13
MSN Messenger will not open
I was having the same problem and it had occured suddenly. I tried uninstalling and re-installing messenger but the problem still existed. I ran my Norton Anti-Virus, Windows Defender and even bought a PC Health program. Nothing worked!!! Then after doing a little research on the internet, I discovered that some spyware and viruses will save themselves in various places on the computer and furthermore, they are saved as "msnmsgr.exe". What I have been doing is every time I start my laptop, I open the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), in there there is usually 3 - 4 "msnmsgr.exe" running. I close each one, exit Task Manager and then it will work. I've been trying to find the source on my computer where these other "msnmsgr.exe" exist, I have yet to find them. Apparently they are hidden and usually in the Windows folder somewhere, they don't show up in a serch either. It's a bit of a nuicence, but closing all the "msnmsgr.exe" in the Task Manager has been working for me. Just a another note, just prior to my messenger stopping to work, I had been downloading animated Desktop backgrounds and various emoticons. I believe one of them may have been the cause.

Let me know if this helps any of you
billnet@shaw.ca
Computer Specs
Member with 13,649 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Sep-2007, 12:14 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly
I was having the same problem and it had occured suddenly. I tried uninstalling and re-installing messenger but the problem still existed. I ran my Norton Anti-Virus, Windows Defender and even bought a PC Health program. Nothing worked!!! Then after doing a little research on the internet, I discovered that some spyware and viruses will save themselves in various places on the computer and furthermore, they are saved as "msnmsgr.exe". What I have been doing is every time I start my laptop, I open the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), in there there is usually 3 - 4 "msnmsgr.exe" running. I close each one, exit Task Manager and then it will work. I've been trying to find the source on my computer where these other "msnmsgr.exe" exist, I have yet to find them. Apparently they are hidden and usually in the Windows folder somewhere, they don't show up in a serch either. It's a bit of a nuicence, but closing all the "msnmsgr.exe" in the Task Manager has been working for me. Just a another note, just prior to my messenger stopping to work, I had been downloading animated Desktop backgrounds and various emoticons. I believe one of them may have been the cause.

Let me know if this helps any of you
billnet@shaw.ca
If you still want to contact you can tempoary use www.ebuddy.com unit MSN messenger is fixed
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Einstein
12-Oct-2007, 09:04 PM #15
The answer is simple, simply unplug your router wait 30 seconds replug it, then try
Make sure you have no msnmgr in task manager, then start up msn and it should work

I had the same problem and this fixed it
Hope it works for you!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!