Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I try to uninstall Google Earth but it won't go

(!)

Member with 393 posts.

10-Jul-2007, 04:52 PM #1
I try to uninstall Google Earth but it won't go
Running WinXP Pro, I installed Google Earth a few months ago, and it worked fine. Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago, it stopped working. It loads, but then just sits there, not allowing me to do anything. At the top of the window it says "not responding", so I have to close it via Task Manager.

I downloaded a newer version, but before installing it I tried to uninstall the present one, via Add/Remove Programs. When I highlight Google Earth I'm asked if I want to Change or Remove. I click Remove, but nothing happens. Same thing happens (nothing) if I click Change.

3 questions:

First, do I really have to uninstall the old version before installing the new, or will the new simply overwrite the old?

Second, how can I get rid of the old version if Add/Remove Programs doesn't work?

Third, is there a way to repair the non-working version if I can't remove it?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jul-2007, 06:14 PM #2
I just install the newer version over the old version. Done it a few times with no problems. Google Earth comes with an uninstaller, you don't need add/remove programs. Look in the All Programs menu. I would just install the new version over the old version.
Member with 393 posts.

10-Jul-2007, 09:18 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjim
I just install the newer version over the old version. Done it a few times with no problems. Google Earth comes with an uninstaller, you don't need add/remove programs. Look in the All Programs menu. I would just install the new version over the old version.
Many thanks!
I tried both ways, but each time even the new version is "not responding". I just get the opening screen and it freezes up. The bottom bar shows "streaming 1%" but it goes no further. Any ideas or suggestions?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

11-Jul-2007, 12:12 AM #4
I would suggest trying this to get the uninstaller for google earth moving: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 Install that, run the program on google earth, then uninstall using google earth's own uninstaller. (This can be found in C:/proram file/google earth) or whatever the install directory of the program is. If it still does not uninstall i would try this program. I know it is merely a shareware version but it forces the program to uninstall. http://www.innovative-sol.com/uninstaller/index.htm . Once google earth is uninstalled, simply install it again from the website. Tell us if any of those suggestions work in getting things moving.
Member with 393 posts.

11-Jul-2007, 01:29 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by new tech guy
I would suggest trying this to get the uninstaller for google earth moving: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 Install that, run the program on google earth, then uninstall using google earth's own uninstaller. (This can be found in C:/proram file/google earth) or whatever the install directory of the program is. If it still does not uninstall i would try this program. I know it is merely a shareware version but it forces the program to uninstall. http://www.innovative-sol.com/uninstaller/index.htm . Once google earth is uninstalled, simply install it again from the website. Tell us if any of those suggestions work in getting things moving.
Thanks again.
I can't try this right now, as I'm leaving for a week, but will do so as soon as I get back and will post the results.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,402 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2007, 11:11 PM #6
Make sure you have Microsoft DirectX 9.0c installed.

Make sure you're using high-speed broadband and not dial-up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're unable to uninstall it or get it working, you may need to get rid of it manually, which involves getting rid of all its files and registry entries.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 393 posts.

12-Jul-2007, 08:16 AM #7
Thanks. Yes, I have broadband, but how can I determine if I have directx 9.0c? Where would I find it?
Computer Specs
Member with 130 posts.

12-Jul-2007, 08:18 AM #8
www.mircosoft.com just re-download it. its the best way
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

12-Jul-2007, 10:47 AM #9
To check your directx version simply press windows key r, on your keyboard then in the runbox type "dxdiag" (no quotes) and right in the main screen of that it should tell you all you need to know about your diretx version.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,402 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Jul-2007, 12:01 PM #10
Click Start - Run, type in DXDIAG.EXE and then click OK. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool window should appear. At the bottom of the System Information list in the "System" tab, it'll show the DirectX version. If your computer has version 9.0c, it'll show 4.09.0000.0904.

Version 9.0c(which contains the June 2007 update) can be downloaded from here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 393 posts.

16-Jul-2007, 01:12 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee
Click Start - Run, type in DXDIAG.EXE and then click OK. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool window should appear. At the bottom of the System Information list in the "System" tab, it'll show the DirectX version. If your computer has version 9.0c, it'll show 4.09.0000.0904.

Version 9.0c(which contains the June 2007 update) can be downloaded from here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to all who responded.
Yes, I have version 9.0c, and broadband. So I guess the only solution is to somehow get rid of the present version of google earth and install the new one.

Or.. could it be my directx is not functioning properly. Can I download/install a new one without uninstalling what's there now?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

16-Jul-2007, 01:28 PM #12
I do not think your directx has any problems if it was functioning before. I would first uninstall google earth then install it again. First uninstall it through add remove, if that fails try running it from the program folder where the program should have a setup file that will uninstall it and if it fails again follow directions in the previous post.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!