Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

A little help with Earthlink Manager!!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Aug-2007, 04:55 PM #1
A little help with Earthlink Manager!!!
Hi: I saw another page called "TOTAL Earthlink POP UP Removal" where someone solved the exact problem I have with my computer. Every time I open the Internet Explorer a message appears of earthlink trying to install or something, then error 1706: "No valid source could be found for product Earthlink Accelerator. The windows installer cannot continue". I don't know how to get rid of this problem... I appreciate any help you can give me.
Senior Member with 152 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Aug-2007, 09:56 PM #2
Do you use Earthlink as your ISP?
If so,
1. Use TotalAccess to connect to the Internet via dial-up.

2. Go to the EarthLink Task Panel and select the arrow to the right of Toolbox.

3. Select the EarthLink Accelerator menu.

4. If you see the Install EarthLink Accelerator submenu item, you do not have Accelerator yet. Select Install EarthLink Accelerator and follow the directions on the screen to install.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Aug-2007, 04:11 PM #3
Hi. No, I don't know where I got this Earthlink thing, I don't know what it is for, guess it's some virus or something... Can I get ird of it? Is there a way to know if it is a virus?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 05:05 AM #4
Virus
I am having the same problem as Serchinnho. This all started right after I quarantined a Trojan Genuine8. I deleted the file where the Trojan was and then I started having the Earthlink Accelerator window pop up trying to install. I am now wireless, but I used to use Earthlink and dialup. This window pops up not only when I try to log on, but whenever I try to use any START tab options (i.e. control panel, my computer, etc.)

Any suggestions on how to rid myself of this pest?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 07:39 PM #5
earthlink accelerator
I tried to call earthlink 3 times and talk to them. I had to hang up all three times because I could not understand the Iranian guy on the other end of the line. DOES ANYONE SPEAK ENGLISH IN THIS COUNTRY ANYMORE????????????????????????????????????
someone please tell us how to get rid of this crap......
Junior Member with 2 posts.

28-Oct-2007, 11:50 AM #6
Same annoying problem
I am having the same problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled Earthlink to no avail. This is driving me nuts. Later, I am going to the Earthlink chat and see if they can help. I give up trying to talk to them on the phone.

28-Oct-2007, 08:13 PM #7
Fixed it
Hooray... I finally figured out how to get rid of this popup, and it's real easy.

1. Go to Start > Programs
2. Locate Windows Installer Cleanup. A window will open with a list of programs.
3. Scroll down until you find Earthlink Accelerator.
4. Highlight and click Remove.

And that's it. No more popup.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

29-Oct-2007, 08:11 AM #8
Angry Tried reinstalling Earthlink Total Access
- reinstalled the whole darned thing and it didn't remove the problem.

I did have the same virus as another poster: Trojan8 Something-or-other, so that must be the cause. But AVG cleaned the virus off my computer, and it did not eliminate the problem.

Arrrgh!
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2007, 08:37 PM #9
I have the same problem. I used Earthlink Accelerator before, but uninstalled it (or so I thought). Everytime I re-boot the computer it loaded Earthlink accelerator. I exit it everytime. On approx Oct 23 I got an update from AVG my virus checker that removed the same file, saying it is a Trojan. Ever since then whenever I start explorer it first tries to install earthlink accelerator. In the windows directory there is a windows explorer command file that I suspect causes this since it has the date of when I first installed Earthlink accelerator. I am tempted to replace this file with a version from another computer. Does anyone know the purpose of this file?Has anyone tried replacing this?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

31-Oct-2007, 11:29 PM #10
Hi Chertwell!
My brother is recommending that I reinstall EVERYTHING on my computer. Arrrgh!
I was going to try reinstalling Earthlink one more time, and then try to install Internet Explorer before I reinstall the whole mess, but have to wait for the weekend.
I know who is giving me the virus, and have alerted her, but don't know if she paid attention, because she is bad about answering emails. Weird, telling someone they gave you a communicable disease!
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2007, 09:58 PM #11
I tried Dlturtle's cure. The only additional info you need is that you download the Windows installer cleanup utility from microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

many thanks Dlturtle

Chertwell
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!