Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Solved: Adobe Acrobat - can it convert .tax files to pdf?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

09-Sep-2007, 04:00 PM #1
Solved: Solved: Adobe Acrobat - can it convert .tax files to pdf?
Hi. I am missing copies of several old tax returns that I need to consult again. I have the .tax file but not the Turbotax programs that generated them. Will Adobe Acrobat convert the .tax file to pdf? I do have Adobe Acrobat versions 4.0 and 5.0, but nothing newer. Will these programs do the job? Am willing to buy the current version (8.0) if it will do the job. Thanks for your help.
Member with 1,138 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Sep-2007, 04:20 PM #2
My Adobe Acrobat Version 6 Pro will not open TurboTax 2006 *.tax files. The error messages says that either the file type is not supported or it is corrupted. Maybe a newer version will do it though.

The Adobe Acrobat forum might have someone on it that knows how to do it.

Note: I just did a google search for "convert *.tax files to *.pdf. One of the results was one that said that Adobe Acrobat version 8 will convert any file that can be printed with Adobe. They offer a free trial of Version 8.

I was not able to get it to download properly a month or so ago but they also will mail out a CD that contains the program.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

09-Sep-2007, 04:24 PM #3
No kidding! You need to use Turbotax to open those files and generate a new copy. Acrobat obviously doesn't know anything about the format of TurboTax data files!

You'll have to obtain the proper version of TurboTax to open those files.
Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

09-Sep-2007, 04:24 PM #4
Thanks. I'll post the message again under Adobe Acrobat forum
Member with 1,138 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Sep-2007, 04:28 PM #5
I am skeptical of it too and TurboTax is a lot cheaper than Acrobat.

If the free trial version of Acrobat 8 would do it, that would be OK as long as you only had to do it once. I do not know how it could do that either without having the form visible on the screen and then printing it to a pdf file. If that is what Adobe is talking about, cute PDF or other similar program will do it free.
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2007, 04:33 PM #6
Read my lips, you need TurboTax, you can't do that with anything that Adobe products, including any version of Acrobat!
Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

09-Sep-2007, 10:42 PM #7
Thanks for the information. I will get the old versions of Turbotax. Maggie88
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Sep-2007, 11:05 AM #8
TurboTax and PDF
Maggie88... The above posts are correct in that you need TurboTax to generate the PDF of your tax returns. Adobe Acrobat cannot, without TurboTax, create the tax return image. The "File / Save As PDF" menu within TurboTax contains the functionality to create the PDF image. If you need old copies of TurboTax, send me an email (turbotax_advocate@intuit.com) stating the years you need and I'll get them to you.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax
Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

10-Sep-2007, 01:38 PM #9
Bob. Thank you so much for your reply and for your offer to obtain the old TurboTax programs for me. We dug around in our collection of 'stuff' and found some of the programs. Hopefully they cover the ones I need the most. I will let you know soon if I need a version that I cannot find among them. Again, many thanks! Maggie
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2007, 07:12 PM #10
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!