Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

getting rid of AOL

(!)

Member with 94 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2007, 12:21 AM #1
getting rid of AOL
I just recently started sharing broadband with my mothers computer, via lan cable, and am finally ditching the dreaded AOL. I've uninstalled a bunch of the the crap: the deskbar (never used it), an aol coach version (wtf was that anyway?), the conectivity services, the computer checkup, spyware protection (didn't use it. have other measures in place), and AOL itself. I used ccleaner to run the uninstalls and scanned for issues a few times to get rid of any detrious that remained

now I see that after uninstalling all that, I see the hostmanager is still around. just out of curiousity I did a search for AOL on my computer and there is still crap load of stuff on there. half of what came up is for AIM6, which I want to keep. I still have the email from AOL and some friends I chat with. but threst is scattered all over, some in shared folders. should I get rid of all that stuff? if I should, how can I safely get rid of this stuff?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-Sep-2007, 01:12 AM #2
You're pretty safe just deleting anything that remains that you are sure is from AOL. You might just do a complete cleaning of all AOL stuff and then reinstall AIM afterward just so you can be sure you got as much as possible.

I don't think they ever really expected people to remove AOL from their machines since a complete uninstallation seems nigh unto impossible. But searching can rid you of most of the crap. If you feel competent to do so, you can even search the registry for AOL things, but just be sure not to delete everything that has the "aol" letter sequence since that may be too much .

Try Autoruns to find all startups that involve AOL and remove or disable them.
new tech guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

29-Sep-2007, 02:29 PM #3
I would say to clean up the system, completely remove all traces of aol, then you are free to delete everything from aol and be certain all of the unwanted junk is out of the system. After doing that, simply install aim again and use that.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,809 posts.

29-Sep-2007, 04:08 PM #4
Your Uninstaller is a good removal prog, it monitor uninstallation processes and removes any files and reg entrys left behind...
Most uninstalls leave behind folders and settings in the registry incase you re-instal... I used to have AOL aswell...its crap that they make you install it to access your broadband...
I used AOL dialler until i got a Wireless Modem/Router which connected to my broadband with username & Password and made the connection available via LAN or WLAN then I uninstalled AOL using Your Uninstaller and it moved a whole load of crap...
If i were you i would just do a search for 'AOL' and delete all that comes up THEN after that run a registry cleaner and it will pick up all the redundant entrys from the original uninstall process AND the folders/files you delete...

as for AIM you can get IRC (messaging programs) clients that allow you to access ALL others like MSN / Yahoo / AOL but i cant remember the name of it...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!