Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Oct-2007, 02:34 AM #1
Unable to uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall
I already tried to uninstall this program with a utility tool I found while searching Google.

An attachment was included along with this message, which is a screenshot of the error. I am using Windows Vista, in which the McAfee Personal Firewall was already installed when I bought this computer.

However, it didn't seem to work. The error message says "Cleanup is already running", but I shouldn't get something like that if the uninstall tool wasn't already running when I attempted to run it.

Uninstalling McAfee Personal Firewall through the Control Panel won't work as nothing related to McAfee shows up under the"Uninstall a program" section of the Control Panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Unable to uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall-faileduninstall.jpg  

Last edited by Hyperspace; 29-Oct-2007 at 02:40 AM..
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 1,281 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Oct-2007, 05:28 AM #2
Hi Hyperspace. First of all run this utility and delete all mcafee files.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
Then follow this link for a good tried and tested firewall.
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/
Member with 3,896 posts.

29-Oct-2007, 07:03 AM #3
mcafee
here is the tool i used a few months ago with no problems

http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Con...ool_d5420.html
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2007, 12:15 PM #4
Hi golferbob. Hadn't found that one yet but put it on notepad for future reference in case some one else needs it.

29-Oct-2007, 01:16 PM #5
I used the Unlocker program to delete a bunch of the McAfee files but Windows Security Center still reports that McAfee Personal Firewall is running. I went into the registry and did a search for "McAfee". I managed to delete one entry from the registry and found other entries I could not delete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbob
here is the tool i used a few months ago with no problems

http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Con...ool_d5420.html
I found that same tool while searching Google prior to the creation of this thread, but on a different site. I chose to download the one you posted. I got the same error when I ran the tool you posted.
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2007, 03:01 PM #6
Hi Hyperspace. I would suggest that you go to start and then to the search facility type in mcafee and hopefully the rest of the remnants will come up delete them with unlocker.
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2007, 01:59 PM #7
Hi Hyperspace. Go back into the registry find the mcafee files and click on it/them. Go to edit and then to permissions click and take control from there.
new tech guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

30-Oct-2007, 07:36 PM #8
Rka, the comodo firewall for vista is still in beta. Only works on xp machines right now. However, the vista edition is on the last beta edition and should have a final released soon. In the meantime i would stay stick with the built in vista firewall as it is half decent and should carry you till comodo is available for vista.
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2007, 02:19 AM #9
Hi new tech guy. I was not aware that hyperspace was using vista but I have taken on board what you have said.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

31-Oct-2007, 03:38 PM #10
Hyperspace, is there any way you could download mcafee and install it again and then uninstall the software. To stop the cleanup utility try using system restore to stop the current cleanup by going back before it was run. Then install mcafee firewall again and then try using the control panel to remove it rather than cleanup. If you would like run the cleanup tool after uninstalling to remove any remnants as it should clean those up.

31-Oct-2007, 10:44 PM #11
I tried contacting McAfee's Customer Service from their site, explaining my problem. I sent them this message:

I have a Gateway computer which came with McAfee Personal Firewall already installed on it. I am running Windows Vista. I want to uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall because I already have another firewall installed and have no need for it. There was a uninstall tool on my computer, which was made by McAfee itself. I ran the tool and I got an error message that says this:

CLEANUP FAILED
Cleanup is already running.

I deleted the entire folder (something like MC?????.tmp) that the uninstall tool was located in, restarted my computer, but Windows Security Center still detects McAfee Personal Firewall running on this computer.

My guess is McAfee has set up their firewall so all of the critical files required for it to operate normally are hidden somewhere on my hard drive where I can't get at them.

McAfee does not show up under the "Uninstall a program" section of the Control Panel.

Any additional ways of uninstalling McAfee Personal Firewall?

I got this message back:

Thank you for contacting McAfee Consumer Online Support. My name is Roy Richards.
In reply to the email regarding "Uninstall the McAfee Firewall", I would be happy to support you in resolving this issue.

Please restart the computer in the safe mode after downloading the below removal tool on the computer. Please follow the below steps to start the computer in the safe mode

1. Turn off the computer completely
2. After turning it on, start tapping the F8 key continuously till you get the windows advanced options menu
3. Select safe mode

After turning on the computer in the safe mode please run the removal tool that you have already downloaded.

Download the removal tool from

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...e&type=TS&ia=1

Note: If clicking on any of the above link does not work, please copy the link and paste it in the address bar of an Internet explorer browser and hit enter.

Save the tool on to your desktop and then run the tool from the desktop. These tools will help you remove all the McAfee files from your system.

This will resolve the issue.

I tried his suggestion and got this message when running the removal tool:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attac...4939/error.jpg

I won't have a need to install the Comodo firewall once the final version is released for Vista. I already have Norton 360 installed, which acts as a firewall in addition to being an anti-virus program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rka01
Hi Hyperspace. Go back into the registry find the mcafee files and click on it/them. Go to edit and then to permissions click and take control from there.
That worked nicely. I deleted 4 registry entries. There was one I did not delete and that one had "\McAfee Cleanup" listed under the data column, simply because it might cause problems with the removal tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new tech guy
Hyperspace, is there any way you could download mcafee and install it again and then uninstall the software. To stop the cleanup utility try using system restore to stop the current cleanup by going back before it was run. Then install mcafee firewall again and then try using the control panel to remove it rather than cleanup. If you would like run the cleanup tool after uninstalling to remove any remnants as it should clean those up.
From what I've found so far, it seems like McAfee Personal Firewall is something you can't download for free so I couldn't try out that idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Unable to uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall-error.jpg  
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2007, 06:12 AM #12
Hi Hyperspace. You seem to be almost there but until the the beta firewall for vista is ready I would suggest that you use comdo as a stop gap.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

01-Nov-2007, 10:57 PM #13
If you have Norton already installed i recommend you remove that as it could be interfereing with the removal of this software. What i meant with the installer was if it came with the pc try re loading the software from the restore disc then uninstall the utility again. Also for that message you receive i say try to make sure it runs as administrator by right clicking the file, clicking run as administrator, confirm the UAC prompt and see what happens with the removal tool.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!