Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how can I transfer programs to a new computer?

(!)

Member with 164 posts.

12-Nov-2007, 05:25 PM #1
how can I transfer programs to a new computer?
Hello:

About 6 months ago I bought a new computer and successfully transferred my files to the new machine (this as a result of helpful advice from the Tech Support Guy contributors.)

Since then I've found quite a few files that I can't bring up because the old program that ran those files is not on my new machine, and my original source discs have long since gone by the wayside.

Would anyone have any ideas on how to transfer these programs to my new computer?

Someone told me it could be done with Ghost: that is one can set up a new partition on the new machine's hard drive and save an image on it of the old machine's system. Will this really work? If so how does it work? Can the program be copied across the partition boundaries into the new system?

Any comments, suggestions, would be welcome.

Thank you,
Robert
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
12-Nov-2007, 05:31 PM #2
You can't transfer programs. They need to be reinstalled on the new machine. That is why many people clone the old drive to the new so that everything, OS and programs, is transferred to the new machine.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Einstein
12-Nov-2007, 06:20 PM #3
Post removed by admin, if that is all you have to offer after being registered here for years, and only just now making your first post, I'd say it's time to log back out stay logged out.

Last edited by ~Candy~; 12-Nov-2007 at 06:38 PM..
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Nov-2007, 06:38 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytrix
Post removed by admin, if that is all you have to offer after being registered here for years, and only just now making your first post, I'd say it's time to log back out stay logged out.
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,597 posts.

12-Nov-2007, 06:40 PM #5
I've used a couple of versions of AlohaBob PC Relocator on three separate occasions and they did a superb job of moving files, settings and intact programs from one machine to another. It wasn't 100% perfect, but best I've seen. There were just a couple of programs I had to reinstall. If you can find a copy I'd suggest giving it a try. It beat the crap of trying to get a hard drive from one machine (or cloned) to work in another.............hands down. The last version I used was 4.0 and was for all Windows thru XP.
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
Member with 164 posts.

12-Nov-2007, 08:00 PM #6
Thanks!
Wino: thanks for telling me about AlohaBob, I'm going to pursue this one!

All best,
Robert
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs

12-Nov-2007, 08:10 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
Wino: thanks for telling me about AlohaBob, I'm going to pursue this one!

All best,
Robert
Good luck!! The program can seem a bit intimdating and overwhelming at times since you must do much of the file transfer work. When it comes to programs, it's much simpler. It will give you a heads up on success - green is a go, orange is maybe / maybe not and red is a no go. However, I had two programs that were shown as red/no go and they went, lock, stock and barrel. Both programs were corporate versions of Norton & a customer data base program. My corporate guru could never figure out how I got them to my new laptop without him doing it.......................and I never told him.
Computer Specs

12-Nov-2007, 08:19 PM #8
MS has acquired APPtimum (owners of AlohaBob) and their site is no more. But you may find an old one somewhere.

There was another, less popular one out at one time called "COA" or "ChangeOfAddress".

I have my doubts about newer programs, but worth a try.

There is still the clone possibility, too.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,348 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Nov-2007, 08:40 PM #9
Hi. I have read all this stuff and feel I should have my say. If you bought the stuff legally you should have the programmes. Then just install on the new pc. Part of buying a new pc is that you get a machine that works quicker than the previous one. What you guys are suggesting not only takes time, is for advanced users and is frought with frustrating little problems that will pop up. Coupled to that your new pc will inherrit many of the corruptions of the old pc's programmes which defies the point of paying for a new one.
I am not sure what programmes you are wishing to copy over.
I assume for some reason you don't have the original disks.
Well nothing like an update. If it is a cost thing then I would recommend some of the exceptional open source software available. Open office is a grand programme for a replacement for ms office. It will open any old office documents and comes with all the bells and whistles. It is also legal and free. There are many photo editing software programmes available on the web. Again you can look at the open source options. More speciallised programmes like accouting packages and so on. Well there is free stuff or open source stuff available but here I would recommened the pay and have technical support as well as the knowledge that you are ensuring the continued development of your choice of software. What you pay does contribute in part to somebodys livliehood.
If you could list some of the programmes you are looking for I could give you better advise in terms of free alternatives.
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs

12-Nov-2007, 08:55 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil
MS has acquired APPtimum (owners of AlohaBob) and their site is no more. But you may find an old one somewhere.

There was another, less popular one out at one time called "COA" or "ChangeOfAddress".

I have my doubts about newer programs, but worth a try.

There is still the clone possibility, too.
That is really sad news.

Try the following

http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmover.html

Last edited by Wino; 12-Nov-2007 at 09:01 PM..
Computer Specs

12-Nov-2007, 09:12 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino
That is really sad news.

Try the following

http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmover.html
Well, it wasn't sad news back when it looked like AlohaBob was going to be included in Vista RC1, but it never materialized. I guess it has gone to app heaven, now.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Beginner
12-Nov-2007, 09:56 PM #12
if you wanna transfer data not program, you can use ghost.ghost work in MS DOS, n for FAT32. as i know, program cant be copy 2 other pc. it must be install first. because one pc to other one are differ spec.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

13-Nov-2007, 02:44 AM #13
What caraewilton said.
I know people lose or misplace disks, or even acquire programs in mysterious ways, but he's right about open source programs.
There's a huge list of free stuff here:
http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-freeware-utilities/
The best source, IMHO, is http://sourceforge.net/
Computer Specs
Member with 1,348 posts.

13-Nov-2007, 05:27 AM #14
Hi Hughv. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am a her though!
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

13-Nov-2007, 09:15 AM #15
My apologies.
I'm guessing your name is Carae?
I've never heard it before.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!