Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

MSWorks not working following system recovery

(!)

Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Nov-2007, 03:51 PM #1
MSWorks not working following system recovery
My PC kept restarting and the only way I could find to fix it was to do a complete System Recovery (Windows XP Home Edition was already installed on the machine complete with MS Works). Following the recovery I tried opening MSWorks and got the message:

Microsoft Works cannot access one or more files it needs to run. The files may have been renamed, deleted, or moved. Try reinstalling Microsoft Works, and then starting again.

I cannot reinstall MSWorks as it was already installed on the PC when I bought it and it did not come with a CDROM of it. Any ideas how I might be able to get it working?

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,347 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Nov-2007, 04:07 PM #2
Try looking on the system recovery disk. If it came packaged with the laptop (i assume) then it might be on the disk.
What type of pc do you have. I ask as I am familier with the HP, ACER and sony Recovery disks.

14-Nov-2007, 04:16 PM #3
My machine is an HP - I received no separate disks with it, everything was already installed on it, including MSWorks. It gives the option of System Recovery during start up. I did the System Recovery and assumed that it wouldn't affect MSWorks as that was part of the original system set up, but obviously it has.

A friend told me that doing the System Recovery would disable the drivers of programs I installed after the original set up - which is true and I have re-installed some of those programs. But MSWorks was already on the system so I don't know what I can do about that?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,347 posts.

14-Nov-2007, 04:30 PM #4
Okay, I guess it is a pretty new machine then. What you could do is, is look in my computer. Sometime the manufactures put the pre installed software in a folder called something like hp. This would not be in the my programmes. Have a look to see if there is not a works folder. You may then be able to run the software install from there.

A more likely solution would be to go to the HP site and enter your comp details into the search. They might have some stuff to help you there.

This next point is my opinion only. I do not like ms works. I find it to be limited and highly incompatable with anything else. I would recommend ditching works and purchasing a home version of word. Alternatively if money is an issue, try openoffice.org which you can download from the net for free. It is 100% legal and free. It also is a very good programme giving options like printing PDF files.

14-Nov-2007, 04:57 PM #5
I have hundreds of msworks files on my PC and can't view/use them without the program working. I find Works to be OK, and although I agree that Word is better...Works was free with the PC

I've been to the HP site and found details of "What to do following a System Recovery" - following those steps now and hopefully that will correct things - will let you know!

In the meantime, thanks for your help
Computer Specs
Member with 1,347 posts.

14-Nov-2007, 05:02 PM #6
Pleasure. Sorry that can not be more helpful:-(
Computer Specs
Member with 1,237 posts.

14-Nov-2007, 07:38 PM #7
u might also try looking in add/remove programs & click on msworks, some programs give u the option of repair in addition 2 uninstall. have u contacted hp 2 ask if u can have recovery discs 4 programs that came with ur pc? they might help if it's not 2 old already

15-Nov-2007, 09:17 AM #8
I contacted HP and they advised me to uninstall and re-install MSWorks. However, they advised me to first uninstall via Add/Remove - but MSWorks isn't appearing in the list! I tried deleting the shortcut from the desktop, which told me to uninstall from Add/Remove...but if it isn't appearing in the list, how do I do it?! Anyways, I've replied to HP with that info and hopefully they'll be able to advise me on what to do next.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!