Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Another WinFax Pro 10 install problem

(!)

Member with 1,140 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Dec-2007, 05:05 PM #1
Another WinFax Pro 10 install problem
I have run WinFax Pro for many years but recently started having problems. They were so bad that I unstalled the program and intended to reinstall it.

The message that now appears right after installation begins is

"Setup has determined that a previous installation of WinFax has been uninstalled. There has been no reboot since. Plase reboot." (wording is approximate)

This computer has been rebooted hundreds of times since the uninstallation but I did it again. Same result.

I do not like or buy Norton products anymore but this has been a fairly good product since I originally started using it as a Delrina product. It has been useful for the few faxes that I send nowdays.

I saw another posting on this site about a differenct WinFax problem and I tried disabling the print spooler in hopes that this would help with my current problem. It did not help with this problem.

There are other better products available on the market but I cannot justify buying one when I only send 2-3 faxes per year.

The Windows Fax console is OK and I may end up having to use it but since WinFax has run pretty well for years on Windows XP Pro and only recently started giving this problem, I thought it would be worth trying to get it running again. Especially since it's database contains all my contacts and old faxes.

Anyone solved this particular problem?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,607 posts.

07-Dec-2007, 07:33 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullen
I have run WinFax Pro for many years but recently started having problems. They were so bad that I unstalled the program and intended to reinstall it.

The message that now appears right after installation begins is

"Setup has determined that a previous installation of WinFax has been uninstalled. There has been no reboot since. Plase reboot." (wording is approximate)

This computer has been rebooted hundreds of times since the uninstallation but I did it again. Same result.

I do not like or buy Norton products anymore but this has been a fairly good product since I originally started using it as a Delrina product. It has been useful for the few faxes that I send nowdays.

I saw another posting on this site about a differenct WinFax problem and I tried disabling the print spooler in hopes that this would help with my current problem. It did not help with this problem.

There are other better products available on the market but I cannot justify buying one when I only send 2-3 faxes per year.

The Windows Fax console is OK and I may end up having to use it but since WinFax has run pretty well for years on Windows XP Pro and only recently started giving this problem, I thought it would be worth trying to get it running again. Especially since it's database contains all my contacts and old faxes.

Anyone solved this particular problem?
Hi
I do not know winfax but when you have trouble re-installing a program that as run OK previous ,it is usually files in the registry that have not been removed with add and removed and are still corrupt.
You will need to remove them before you attempt to install winfax again.
The way I would recommend you do it is, Start , Run, and type regedit and enter. This will take you into the registry . Click up to my computer, then click Edit , then click find, In the box type Win fax pro. and click find next, Windows will start searching your registry for files associated with Winfax pro. When it finds one it will highlight it ,right click and delete it ,then press F3 and it will search again, keep repeating this until windows says it as finished searching, PLEASE NOTE each time windows high lights a file check that the name winfax is mentioned in it you can do this by running your mouse pointer over the file that is highlighted. If you do not see win fax mentioned do not delete the file .just press F3 again and carry on. It is possible you may find lots of files to delete ,I have known as many as 50 for some programs so don't worry just keep pressing F3 and deleting them.
This should then allow you to reinstall your program.
Good look
Rex
Member with 1,140 posts.

07-Dec-2007, 10:34 PM #3
Rex

Thanks for the response. I edited the registry and did find some WinFax files and I also searched but did not find any Delrina or WinFax Pro lines. I cleaned out all that I could find but it still gives that message.

I may have to break down and learn the Windows XP Fax console because a while back, someone posted somewhere and said that WinFax Pro will not work with XP. I was able to run WinFax Pro for several years but something has happened since I uninstalled it and then attempted a reinstall later. Maybe some Microsoft update caused something to change.
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,597 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Dec-2007, 11:26 PM #4
I have v10.03 on my XP Home SP2 on tower & laptop and last I used it (been sometime) it worked. Any version before 10.03 will not work on XP. Try the following link. They have a forum dedicated to WinFax Pro and you should be able to find some help there. I've used the program for years (1994-95 Delrina or whatever it was). It was always quirky, but did the job well.

http://www.getfaxing.com/
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
Junior Member with 2 posts.

10-Jan-2008, 01:11 AM #5
Possible Solution
I had this problem recently and attempt everything to resolve it with very little success.

Winfax is currently not supported by Symantec, so the answers are getting hard too obtain.

I finally found this link in a hidden knowledgebase article that solved my problem.

The link is http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...c?OpenDocument

And .. in case it disappears, here is the info:

Situation:
When installing, you see the following error message: "Setup has detected that a previous installation of WinFax has been uninstalled, but no reboot has occurred since the uninstall. You must reboot your system before running setup."

Solution:
You will need to restart the system and install WinFax PRO or TalkWorks PRO again. If you continue to experience difficulties, find and delete the WFXBOOT.INI file.

Click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders. The Find dialog box appears.
From the Look In drop-down list, select the drive onto which you installed WinFax PRO/TalkWorks PRO.
Check Include subfolders (if not already checked).
In the Named field, type: wfxboot.ini and click Find Now. Windows displays all files matching the search criteria.
Select the WFXBOOT.INI file and press Delete.
Repeat these steps for the file Wfxinst.log as well.
Close the Find dialog box.
Install WinFax PRO/TalkWorks PRO.

I just renamed the file to wfxboot.old and the program reinstalled correctly. Hope it helps someone else.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

10-Jan-2008, 01:14 AM #6
The link was ..
Sorry - it looks like the link got cut off. It is:

" http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...c?OpenDocument "
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!