Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Winzip / Winrar won't extract all..

(!)

Member with 67 posts.

14-Dec-2007, 12:37 PM #1
Winzip / Winrar won't extract all..
Hi,

I've been using winrar for quite some time now. For whatever reason, it suddenly decided not to extract files when I right click on the file ('Extract here...' & 'Extract files...' etc.)

So I figured, let me delete and install it again. Still, no luck.

I removed winrar and now I see the default (XP) winzip folder with the zipper.
I right clicked and clicked 'extract all...'

No luck.

Did anyone experienced this, before? Thanks~!
GRIFFCON GRIFFCON is offline GRIFFCON has a Profile Picture
Member with 105 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2008, 03:16 PM #2
Hello djikc:

I'm encountering a similar problem,

Hi Guys:

When I right-click on a .rar file and choose the option, "Extract Here", nothing happens.
So, I now I have to double-click on the file to open it and then drag the contents into a folder in Windows Explorer.

This began a couple of weeks ago. And yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times,
but the problem is still there. The funny thing is, WinRAR will extract files from a compressed .exe extension.

BTW, there are no other decompression programs on my Windows XP SP2 system.

To say that this issue is a pain in the rear would be an understatement.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,541 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 05:36 AM #3
Have you gone to winrar, options, setting, Integration tab and then to Shell integration/Cascaded context menus and there are 3 boxe that can be checked. The you got the Context menu items button you can click on.
I would uncheck these and close winrar and then open it and recheck them. If that does not work then uncheck them again and reboot and then recheck them again.
Member with 105 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 10:21 AM #4
Hi hewee:

Yes, I've played around with the Settings/Options/Integration/Context Menu Items and unchecked/rechecked/rebooted, (v3.71) etc. I've even uninstalled the app several times.

Hmmnnn... I've reached a conclusion that some other program has *stolen* the focus from this particular feature. I've been busting my brain trying to figure out which one. There are no other compression apps that I can remember installing. I realize that this falls under the category of "minor annoyances", but to me, it has become a big pain in the neck; as I extract tons of RAR files weekly. Having to double-click on each RAR file and then manually drag them from the now open window into a pre-designated folder? A real bummer. I'm seriously thinking of permanently uninstalling this bad boy in favor of the latest Winzip; which can decompress RAR files, etc.

Thanks lots hewee for your input on this issue. I've been in the computer tech game for over 20 years and usually don't throw in the towel this early, but time is of the essence for me these days. Thanks again.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,347 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Apr-2008, 12:35 PM #5
You could try 7-zip
http://www.7-zip.org/
Member with 105 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 01:29 PM #6
Thanks carawilton. I'll give it a shot.

Take care.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!