Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

what's a good DVD player for desktop?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Feb-2008, 03:42 PM #1
what's a good DVD player for desktop?
I've used WinDVD on my laptop and it's great. For my new desktop, what is a really good DVD player that is inexpensive (free?) that has all the basic controls (rw, ff, etc.) and works well? Should i just use WMP? I don't really care for it, to be honest.....suggestions?

thanks!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,091 posts.

Experience: The Baddest Noob :)
06-Feb-2008, 04:20 PM #2
You can google it.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

06-Feb-2008, 05:02 PM #3
thanks a lot.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,000 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Feb-2008, 05:06 PM #4
VLC media player is free, plays DVD's and just about any other video format.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

06-Feb-2008, 05:15 PM #5
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

08-Feb-2008, 02:45 AM #6
I tried the VLC player on a commercial DVD, and it keeps cutting in and out....not so bad that the movie is unwatchable, but enough that it is very annoying. Also, it doesn't have a rewind and fast forward....( I don't understand why all players don't have these features; they seem pretty basic to me.)

Anyway, so it won't work. Any other ideas? I was going to go ahead and get Intervideo or one of those programs that enable WMP, but I don't know if that's the best way to go. I am going to be watching movies on this computer and I want great playback. It doesn't have to be free by any means, but I want great DVD playback. I know WinDVD is really great, becasuse I use it on my laptop....is that the best way to go?

thanks for any suggestions.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,000 posts.

08-Feb-2008, 08:43 AM #7
Well VLC is about the only decent free player. A good paid DVD player that's not real expensive is CyberLink PowerDVD, the cheapest one is $50.

You can get a copy on Amazon for about $20 with shipping http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...2473767&sr=1-1
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
08-Feb-2008, 03:28 PM #8
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
10-Feb-2008, 11:57 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj nick View Post
Also, it doesn't have a rewind and fast forward....( I don't understand why all players don't have these features; they seem pretty basic to me.)
That's funny, mine even has eject.
Attached Thumbnails
what's a good DVD player for desktop?-snapshot11.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

11-Feb-2008, 02:13 AM #10
I don't need "eject," really, and the buttons that seem to show fast forward and rewind are not really those functions. The one that looks like rewind is actually "slow play," for example. You can switch to another chapter or scene, but I just want to be able to rewind and fast forward...

it's a moot point, because on my system the player just doesn't work. I take the same DVD on my laptop on WinDVD and it plays just great.

I really appreciate the help, but I probably need to get a good player and spend the money.....I'm wondering which is the best....
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

11-Feb-2008, 02:16 AM #11
Someone suggested DivX....does anyone have an opinion on that player?
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

11-Feb-2008, 04:12 AM #12
Windows Media Player plays DVDs.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
11-Feb-2008, 07:51 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj nick View Post
I don't need "eject," really, and the buttons that seem to show fast forward and rewind are not really those functions. The one that looks like rewind is actually "slow play," for example. You can switch to another chapter or scene, but I just want to be able to rewind and fast forward...

it's a moot point, because on my system the player just doesn't work. I take the same DVD on my laptop on WinDVD and it plays just great.

I really appreciate the help, but I probably need to get a good player and spend the money.....I'm wondering which is the best....
Not quite moot since a lot of players are similar.

In that snapshot there is a feature you can't see because I wasn't playing anything.
When you open a file and play it, there is a slider on the bottom that moves with the progress of what you are playing. You can grab that slider and move to any point in the movie you like.
Fast forward, Fast Play, the only difference is one gives you a preview.

No fast forward with DVDs' at all if that is how you are looking at it. At least no DVD player I have owned or seen quits showing movie and just has time flying by on the counter.
You do fast play or scene advance. DVD is not a tape, I can start at the end without having to "Fast Forward."

Too bad VLC won't work for you, it is always my first choice.
I'd try re-installing it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!