Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Google won't work

(!)

Member with 61 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Feb-2008, 11:36 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: Google won't work
Suddenly my Google Toolbar disappeared. It is still on Add/Remove. My browser is IE6. Tried to go to google.com. Eventually I got "The page cannot be displayed". I also have Firefox with the Google toolbar in place. Tried google.com with same result. The only Google site I can get is Google News. It has a search function, but it won't work---"page cannot be displayed". I have tried a number of sites that include Google search, but none work. I exited my firewall just in case, but didn't help. Everything else works normally. The problem seems to involve Google search and any Google site except News. I tried System Restore to a day where I knew it worked because I use it a lot. It restored the toolbar in IE6, but the search function will not work and still can't access any Google site by any means (except News).
I give up. Please help.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,656 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Feb-2008, 12:09 PM #2
what version of windows do u have? if its windows xp the latest version of internet explorer is 7. second u might need to download the latest version of google toolbar. hope this helps u.
Member with 61 posts.

15-Feb-2008, 12:59 PM #3
XP. Early on I tried to get IE7, several times, but the download quit with some sort of problem that I don't recall. Not a unique problem because MS has some possible solutions to try. None worked for me. I've been hearing about problems with IE7 so I decided to stick with IE6.
It occurred to me to get a new toolbar, but I question that it would help. I tried Google search from a number of other sources other than the toolbar and also tried Google sites from other sources. Google won't search and Google sites are not available. Yahoo search works fine and any other sites are available via address bar.
Member with 61 posts.

15-Feb-2008, 05:16 PM #4
PS
Tried to download current toolbar. Would NOT do it---"page cannot be displayed". Tried via Yahoo search to find Google blogs or Google forums. Found them but would not open. ANY site that has Google name will not open---"page cannot be displayed". This does NOT happen with any other site.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
15-Feb-2008, 09:04 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm7163 View Post
XP. Early on I tried to get IE7, several times, but the download quit with some sort of problem that I don't recall. Not a unique problem because MS has some possible solutions to try. None worked for me. I've been hearing about problems with IE7 so I decided to stick with IE6.
It occurred to me to get a new toolbar, but I question that it would help. I tried Google search from a number of other sources other than the toolbar and also tried Google sites from other sources. Google won't search and Google sites are not available. Yahoo search works fine and any other sites are available via address bar.
I believe you need to have SP2 on XP in order to get IE7.
Member with 61 posts.

15-Feb-2008, 10:13 PM #6
I have always had SP2. Sorry, should have said so.
Member with 61 posts.

17-Feb-2008, 11:25 AM #7
Problem solved. Did a lot of research in other forums and found one where this is a common problem and with an easy solution that I never would have thought of (until the next time I lost my wireless connection). The solution is to reset my modem and wireless router using same procedure as when I lose my wireless connection and need to reset IP address. When I lost Google I still had my wireless connection and everything else worked as normal. First this has happened in some years.

Hope this is helpful for others.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,191 posts.

Experience: None-but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once
17-Feb-2008, 12:34 PM #8
Hey all, I had some time on my hands and thought that I would google-google and the rest of the alphabet.
This is all ccp...

boogle.com - google search engine with quotesboogle provides pictures, quotes, and a google search box.
http://www.boogle.com/

elgoog-(Car Sharing Database - Mitfahrzentrale.AG). Help with bandwidth costs Donate to help elgooG with the bandwidth bills.
http://www.alltooflat.com/geeky/elgoog/ (Presently Down)
http://elgoog.rb-hosting.de/index.cgi

Doogle-Advanced Search Preferences Language Tools Advertising Programs - Business Solutions - About Doogle. 2004 Doogle - Searching 12 web pages.
http://www.doogle.org/

HoogleSearch engine for the Haskell standard libraries (Prelude, List, Array, etc). Search by function name, or type signature. Gives examples and overviews of ...
http://www.haskell.org/hoogle/

Welcome to Joogle.orgA new design is being worked on. We apologise for any inconvenicene caused. Existing Site ...
http://www.joogle.org/index-old.htm

Toogle Image SearchThe most comprehensive image buggery on the web. Take Toogle to your browser with the Toogle Searchbar for Firefox Signup for C6 SMS events ...
http://c6.org/toogle/

Woogle - Words in picturesTry entering a phrase with words that have associated imagery e.g. 'the sky is falling'. Try Toogle! - Gu Jian's Homepage - Search Tips - About Woogle - Jie ...
http://www.gujian.net/woogle/

Zoogle - Google Images Slide ShowIf you want to go to the startpage of Zoogle, just click on the Zoogle logo !! For webmasters we have a source page for the Zoogle searchbox on your webpage ...
http://www.zoogle.nu/
Junior Member with 2 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 03:44 PM #9
Same problem, google won't work
Can you elaborate on how you fixed this? I'm having the same problem. What do you mean you reset your modem and your wireless?
Member with 61 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 07:30 PM #10
It's common to lose wireless connection requiring resetting modem and router to get new IP address. Procedure is:
Unplug wireless router and then cable modem.
Wait 30 seconds to power down.
Plug in modem first.
Wait 15 seconds.
Plug in wireless router.
I have found that it may take about 30 additional seconds to be sure everything is reset.

Some problems have multiple solutions and one solution may not work for someone else. The above solution, as suggested by others at another forum, worked for me. Hopefully it works for you as well. Would you please post if it works or not?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 08:58 AM #11
Thanks. That did not work for me, but someone else suggested going into Internet Exlorer, advanced tab and checking "restore internet settings". This worked. Looks like when we installed I-tunes it changed something and an un-install did not change it back. Thanks for your help!
Member with 61 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 03:00 PM #12
Glad you found a solution. You lost me. Do you use IE 6? It is what I use. I'm not familiar with "going into IE". Do you mean open the IE browser? Where is advanced tab? The only one I could find was under Tools>Internet Options, but that Advanced tab doesn't have a choice to "restore internet settings". If I could find your solution on my machine it might come in handy sometime.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!