Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Norton 360 backup

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Feb-2008, 11:40 AM #1
Norton 360 backup
I would like to save my backup on another computer in my network to save space on my laptop hard drive. I believe Norton 360 is unable to do this directly. I would like to backup on my c: drive, then move it to another computer. Where does Norton 360 put the backup file(s)? I'm not a believer in storing my data on the internet. Making a dvd or cd backup is an undesirable option. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Member with 395 posts.

28-Feb-2008, 08:30 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36US View Post
I would like to save my backup on another computer in my network to save space on my laptop hard drive. I believe Norton 360 is unable to do this directly. I would like to backup on my c: drive, then move it to another computer. Where does Norton 360 put the backup file(s)? I'm not a believer in storing my data on the internet. Making a dvd or cd backup is an undesirable option. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Hi Steve,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your post about Norton 360's backup abilities.

If your network is setup correctly and you can see the shared folders on the other computers, then you can indeed change your backup settings to that location in the main Norton 360 window under the "Backup and Restore" bubble. If you have an external USB drive , you can also select that location for your backup as well.

In regards to the location on the local C: drive where Norton 360 stores it's backups, the correct path is the following: c:\N360_Backup. Depending on the complexity of your network, etc, backing up files to another computer may be slow. If you backup to your local C: drive, the backup will proceed more quickly. You could then move the backed files to the desired computer.

I hope this clarifies the backup capabilities of Norton 360 for you.

Thank you,
Mike
Computer Specs

28-Feb-2008, 10:05 PM #3
Setup Question
Mike, Thanks for your reply. I can see the folders and files on the other computers on my network but the only backup destinations available in Norton 360 are the C drive, DVD drive, (both on the laptop) and Secure online storage. How do I configure Norton 360 to "see" files on other computers? File and printer sharing are enabled and c drives are shared on all computers. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Member with 395 posts.

29-Feb-2008, 04:30 PM #4
Hi Steve,

You will need to configure the Norton Personal Firewall to Allow Windows File Sharing. Please follow the steps below.

1. Open Norton 360's main window.

2. Click on the 'Task and Settings" link at the top of the window.

3. Click on "Change Advanced Settings," and then click on the "Firewall Protection" settings link.

4. Click on the "Firewall General Rules" tab.

5. Scroll through the list and locate the "Block Windows File Sharing" entry and then choose the "Modify" button.

6. Under the "Action" tab, click on "Allow."

7. Click on the "Connections" tab and choose the last radio button "Connections to and from other computers." Click "OK."

8. Click on the "Computers" tab. It's your choice here as to weather or not you want to choose "Any Computer" or "Only the Computers..."

9. Click on the "Communications" tab and choose "All types of communication...."

10. Click on the 'Network Locations" tab, and click the radio button that says "Trusted." next, you should see the IP addresses of the shared computers on your network. If they are not listed under the "Trusted" list, select them from the "Limited" list and then click the arrow to move them to the Trusted list. Click "Apply" and then "Close."

11. Close the main Norton 360 window, and then re-open it.

12. Click on the "Backup and Restore" bubble and then click on "Change Backup Settings."

13. Under # 2 "Backup Location," click on the "Change" button. You should now see the other computers on your network. If you do not see them, click on the "Refresh Destinations" link.

If you still can not see the desired location for your backup in the list, then you will need to make sure that the permissions are set correctly in regards to the Share's on your other computers. Also, please make sure that the Windows Firewall is disabled, as you only need one Firewall running on your machine to avoid conflicts. Lastly, if you have a router in place, you may need to make changes on there as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Mike
Computer Specs

02-Mar-2008, 06:44 PM #5
I think I'm closer...
Mike,
Thank you for your patience. I have completed all the steps (1-13) and still no go. I'm fairly sure my "shares" are set up correctly (I can view and modify files and folders on any computer on my network). Windows firewall is disabled. I have a D-Link DI-524 router (I'm not knowledgeable on all the settings... I can use the internet and share files between computers. Beyond that I'm unfamiliar with other settings). I appreciate all your help. Thank you again!
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2008, 07:41 PM #6
Unable to reply
Michael,
I'm unable to reply to pm's yet. (administrative restriction) Could you put your email in a pm to me?
Thanks!!!
Junior Member with 3 posts.

06-Mar-2008, 01:25 PM #7
Assign a drive letter
I believe the correct way to backup to a folder on another computer in a network is to assign a drive letter to the network folder, on the computer you want to backup from. Then Norton 360 should be able to see the drive and you can choose it as a backup location.

Hope that helps!
Member with 395 posts.

06-Mar-2008, 02:15 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36US View Post
Michael,
I'm unable to reply to pm's yet. (administrative restriction) Could you put your email in a pm to me?
Thanks!!!
Hi Steve,

What swesub says regarding drive mappings is true, and I apologize for not clarifying that to you. Please try mapping the drive of the share you wish to backup your data, close Norton 360 , and reopen it and see if it appears as a destination.

Please check your email as well.

Thanks,
Mike
Computer Specs

06-Mar-2008, 05:18 PM #9
Thats it!!! It does what I want now. Thank you for all your help. This forum is great!
Member with 395 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 04:02 PM #10
Hi Steve,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the backup issue with Norton 360.

Take Care,
Mike
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Mar-2008, 08:00 PM #11
Norton 360 additional PC
Hello, I recently bought Norton Antivirus 360, the $79 one but after intallation it worked fine on mcomputer but my father (who payed for it ) would like it on his, on the website where I downloaded it( the official Norton website) it was stated underneath the purchace information that it provided "Protection for up to 3 PCs" , I was wondering How do you transfer it to another computer ???
Member with 395 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 02:53 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhynot View Post
Hello, I recently bought Norton Antivirus 360, the $79 one but after intallation it worked fine on mcomputer but my father (who payed for it ) would like it on his, on the website where I downloaded it( the official Norton website) it was stated underneath the purchace information that it provided "Protection for up to 3 PCs" , I was wondering How do you transfer it to another computer ???
Hi ewhynot,

I am providing technical support only for Norton consumer products. However, you should be able to find an answer to your subscription question by visiting the following page:

Symantec Customer Service

Thanks,

Mike
Computer Specs

25-Mar-2008, 06:07 PM #13
Go to this site and register !!!! you can win dell products for just playing http://www.winwithdell.com/EN/index....68737518615384
Computer Specs

25-Mar-2008, 06:07 PM #14
and yes the norton reply worked thanks very much
Member with 395 posts.

25-Mar-2008, 07:02 PM #15
Hi ewhynot,

I'm glad that you are up and running with Norton now.

Take Care,
Mike
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!