Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Spyware Doctor; Removing old registration.

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Mar-2008, 07:04 PM #1
Spyware Doctor; Removing old registration.
Hello.

I once had a registered version of Spyware Doctor on my PC, but it expired. (XP). I saw that Google was offering a basic, fully functional version for free via Google Pack. I downloaded this after uninstalling my older expired version only to see that the new one would not update. It gives me an error suggesting that my subscription is invalid. I have found that my old subscription is still under the Help! > About section.

I have tried uninstalling all instances, and deleting all registry data under PC Tools and Spyware Doctor folders to no avail. I asked PC Tools about this, but they were unwilling to give me a quick solution that I was asking for. So, does anyone have a solution for this that I can do on my own, without including a third party? Thanks,

-J.
Computer Specs
Member with 868 posts.

19-Mar-2008, 07:10 PM #2
It must be saved in the registry. I would suggest uninstalling Google Pack before going into the registry to avoid confusion. Press Start, then Run..., and type "regedit" and press enter. Press ctrl+f once the registry editor pops up. Type "spyware doctor" and search. Look for a registry key that contains your old Spyware Doctor registration information, and delete it. If you can't find it, type "pctools" and search again. Check again, and if you find it, delete that key, and reinstall the Google Pack and see if it works.

19-Mar-2008, 07:32 PM #3
Thanks for the response tacoman359.

I tried your suggestion, but did not find anything significant. I also tried searching the serial and username to no avail.
Computer Specs
Member with 868 posts.

20-Mar-2008, 04:44 PM #4
I've got no idea then. It looks like the software is glitchy because I Googled it and found results of it just being the trial/demo version. If you haven't tried reinstalling the paid version from PCTools, you should try that and then uninstall again. You should try both new and old versions.

20-Mar-2008, 05:01 PM #5
There's a paid version, which if you do not have a key only detects the problems and does not fix them, and there's a new version (Google Pack) that does both but without some features.
I don't believe installing a new version lets you replace the key. The only way to do it is go through PC Tools. I wish to leave them out. They do not want to tell me where the file/registry entry is. If anyone has fixed this problem, please let me know.
Computer Specs
Member with 868 posts.

20-Mar-2008, 06:00 PM #6
Most of the time when you uninstall something, it gives you the option to remove license information. Are you sure that Spyware Doctor does not do this?

23-Mar-2008, 01:30 AM #7
Yes, I am positive.
Junior Member with 6 posts.

02-Apr-2008, 04:01 AM #8
for old versions of Spyware Doctor (eg. version 4) you can use this method to remove the registration key.

1. Please close Spyware Doctor, exit it from your system tray (bottom right hand corner)

2. In 'Run' enter the following command

"C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /RL

3. Press the "OK" button, the Run window will disappear.

4. Restart Spyware Doctor and click on Help-About. You will now be able to see the 'Register Now' button.

Hope this helps someone!

Anyone who knows a similar procedure for version 5.5, I'd appreciate any info.... cheers

Last edited by cordiafreaks; 02-Apr-2008 at 04:10 AM..

02-Apr-2008, 04:19 AM #9
Thank you very much cordiafreaks. This worked for me under 5.5. I really appreciate it. Until now I had found no other methods. If I do, however, I will post it here.

02-Apr-2008, 04:27 AM #10
Not a problem J.N.

Glad to help you out! Have a nice day!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

08-Apr-2008, 09:49 PM #11
To reset the Spyware Doctor license code, follow the steps show below:

1. Save the following file, ArmAccess.dll into C:\Windows\System32\

http://support.pctools.com/manager/d...=ArmAccess.dll

2. Save the following file, SpywareDoctorReset.exe to your Desktop

http://support.pctools.com/manager/d...octorReset.exe

3. If Spyware Doctor is active you will need to fully Shut it down. Right click on the Spyware Doctor system tray icon and select 'Shutdown'

4. Double-click on the SpywareDoctorReset.exe file that was downloaded in step 2.

13-Apr-2008, 10:28 PM #12
fantastic!!! thankyou so much... this is exactly what I was after!
Junior Member with 2 posts.

03-Jun-2008, 06:59 AM #13
It works! Thanks.

Last edited by tripplejjj; 03-Jun-2008 at 10:52 PM..
Member with 3,896 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2008, 05:36 PM #14
spyware doc
i have the same problem coming up soon. i just don't know how to save the file in step 1 to " c:\windows\system32\
Computer Specs
Member with 868 posts.

03-Jun-2008, 06:07 PM #15
If you're using Firefox, then the default file save location is to your desktop. Click Start, Run..., then type C:\Windows\System32\ and press enter. Now drag that file into the folder that popped up.

If you're using Internet Explorer, then download the file and click [b]Save[b]. Now type C:\Windows\System32\ in the File name: field, and press Save.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!