Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Acronis True Image SATA Drive Support

(!)

Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

26-Mar-2008, 03:46 PM #1
Solved: Acronis True Image SATA Drive Support
It appears that Acronis True Image 10 home doesn't support SATA hard drives. I tried searching their site for support information, but I couldn't find anything. I'm able to create a backup image from within Windows, but I can't restore anything because the boot disk doesn't detect the hard drive.

Is version 11 necessary for SATA drive support? I'm not thrilled to drop another $40 after less than a year.
Member with 66 posts.

26-Mar-2008, 04:30 PM #2
Acronis has supported SATA since at least version 9. When you created the boot disk, did you create the full version? That is what is needed for USB and SATA support.

26-Mar-2008, 10:12 PM #3
Yes, I used the "full version" option.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Mar-2008, 11:22 PM #4
Cool Acronis 10
DoubleHelix:
I had the same problem whith version 10.00, I upgrade to the version 10.0.4942 to solve this problem and now I can see my SATA HDD and perform the image like a charm, previous versions not work completely with SATA drives, with previous versions you need to make a bootable BARTCD to install the SATA drives almost manually, if you canīt upgrade you need to make the BartCD, the complete explanation is in the manual of the program, sorry about my english Iīm from Mexico.

27-Mar-2008, 12:30 AM #5
Your English is just fine. I should have added in my original post that I already applied the 10.0.4942 update and then re-created the boot disk. It still didn't work.

I may have to look into creating my own custom boot disk, but that detracts from Acronis's simplicity.

Thanks for the help, and any other suggestions that come up.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Einstein
27-Mar-2008, 12:01 PM #6
Try safe mode, not full!
The "Full Mode" CDs that Acronis creates are Linux-based, and do not include SATA drivers. Bizarre but true. Hey, it's only five-year old technology, eh?

However, If you create a "Safe Mode" Boot CD, that is based on Windows drivers, which do have SATA support. Who would have thought that "Safe" is more complete than "Full"?

In my experience, this applies to Acronis MigrateEasy, Acronis True Image Home, Seagate DiscWizard, etc..

Howard Katz, MCSE

28-Mar-2008, 11:09 AM #7
That worked! Thank you for your help.

With all the forum veterans here who recommend Acronis to people every day, I'm surprised this issue never came up before that no one had that suggestion.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!