Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

are Firefox and AVG compatible?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-May-2008, 09:35 PM #1
are Firefox and AVG compatible?
I just reformatted the hard drive on my Sony Vaio laptop this morning (four blue screens in last week, and programs kept bogging/shutting down.)

I reinstalled XP (and service packs 1 & 2), Office 2000, Firefox, and the new version of AVG, and copied all my personal files (mostly Word docs, but also some pics and Excel). Firefox has crashed more than 8 times in the last hour and a half.

Is there a compatibility issue with Firefox and the new AVG (had older version before the reinstall and had been ignoring requests to update), or is something else going on here?

Thanks!
IMiteBable2help has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,079 posts.

Experience: Advanced but no Expert
28-May-2008, 04:31 AM #2
Something else is surely going on. I've been using AVG and Firefox for years. Never had trouble with either of them. It's possible there's an issue with your hardware, specifically a possible ram failure, but that's pure speculation. Don't know enough about your system. If you just reinstalled everything properly, you shouldn't be having problems like that.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

28-May-2008, 09:07 AM #3
Would a RAM failure cause intermittent problems? For instance, yesterday was horrible; today, Firefox hasn't shut down yet and I've been online for an hour. I didn't have time to wipe again and reinstall as the other poster suggested, but I checked and I do have the latest version of Firefox.

I'm not trying to do anything complicated when stuff crashes. I read CNN (not videos cuz it takes too long to load), work on Word Docs, and sometimes read PDFs.

Is there any easy way to test to see if that is the problem? If it is the problem, is it worth trying to fix, or should I just get a new laptop?

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-May-2008, 12:20 PM #4
Bad RAM could cause intermittent system stability issues. See if you can download a "memtest" utility you can use to test your RAM.

I have also used Firefox and AVG on the same system and haven't had any problems. In fact, my mom runs Firefox 2.0.0.14 and AVG 8 on her XP Home Edition SP2 system right now.

Peace...
IMiteBable2help has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,079 posts.

Experience: Advanced but no Expert
28-May-2008, 04:12 PM #5
In my experience with Firefox, if it's crashing or giving you a PITA, i've always found it was a plug-in that was causing the problem. For example, java. When it tries to update it'self after starting firefox, FF encounters an error and closes. Click Tools- add ons. Check extentions, and plugins. Tell me what's in there.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

28-May-2008, 06:32 PM #6
I ran the memtest suggested by tomdkat, and it didn't find any problems.

The add ons window shows: AVG Safe Search 8.0, AVG Security Toolbar (Disabled-it was irritating me), and Talkbalk 2.0.0.11.

Thanks,
Jackie
Computer Specs

28-May-2008, 08:08 PM #7
Does Firefox crash when visiting any site in particular or at random?

Peace...
Trusted Advisor with 19,658 posts.

28-May-2008, 08:14 PM #8
Avg and Firefox work fine for me, but I am just using the free version of AVG. You do realize that when you reinstall Windows, you only need to load the last service pack released. You don't need to keep installing one ontop of the other. You can clean install and load SP3 if you wanted to.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

28-May-2008, 09:02 PM #9
Crashes have happened while looking at seemingly random sites. I couldn't manage to read cnn.com last night. Today it seems fine, but it crashed while I was looking at weather.com. It also crashed repeatedly while I was looking at the techguy site last night. And bestbuy.com where I was pondering a new laptop.

I didn't realize that I could skip older service packs when reinstalling, and I'm pretty sure that at least pack two showed up automatically on the list of things that I'm missing. Is there a way to check to see what service packs I've downloaded? Would having too many service packs potentially cause a problem?

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

29-May-2008, 05:56 AM #10
There may be another way to check your installed SP, but I found mine by Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs and scrolled to the bottom of the list to Windows SP2. (I don't want SP3 from what I have seen here on TSG!)

{redoak}
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

30-May-2008, 11:11 PM #11
If the memtest reports no problems, is that a fairly certain indicator that it isn't RAM, or is there another test I can run?

Problems are still intermittent. Somedays are awful, some days are just irritating in terms of programs shutting down.
Computer Specs

30-May-2008, 11:42 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruen View Post
If the memtest reports no problems, is that a fairly certain indicator that it isn't RAM, or is there another test I can run?
I think if the memtest ran clean, your RAM is fine. I would uninstall AVG 8, reboot, and see how Firefox behaves.

Peace...
Junior Member with 1 posts.

13-Jul-2008, 03:37 PM #13
got the same problem. just removed the avg add-ons and works just fine. start firefox safemode and removed it there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
avg, firefox

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!