Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why as I suddenly unable to run either AdAware or Spybot?

(!)

Member with 969 posts.

16-Jul-2008, 05:32 PM #1
Why as I suddenly unable to run either AdAware or Spybot?
I have used both AdAware and Spybot for several years now with hardly any problems at all. Now, all of a sudden, whenever I click on either on I get a message telling me that one may conflict with the other. For whatever reason I am now unable to run either program. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled both of them, but that didn't help either.

I thought I was getting somewhere with Spybot until I tried to get updates and the following message appeared:

[I]Error retrieving update info file![/I

Shutting down and rebooting didn't help either.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who may be able to explain what's going on and how I might find a solution to this sudden and annoying problem.

In the meantime I'm using both SpywareBlaster and AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 without incident. Still, I'm baffled as to why I'm no longer able to run both AdAware and Spybot.

For what it's worth, I recently dropped Zone Alarm Security Suite and I'm now using Avast Anti-Virus 4.8 Home Edition and Comodo Firewall Pro.

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,092 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Aug-2008, 08:46 PM #2
you shouldn't run and have moer than one installed at once this is a very good malware tool also; http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebyt...are_d5756.html
and some good info here;
http://forums.techguy.org/79-security-malware-removal/
Computer Specs
Member with 1,134 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Aug-2008, 10:35 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_hog View Post
you shouldn't run and have moer than one installed at once
I don't understand - I run BOTH Lavasoft Adaware 2008 and Spybot S&D on two home pc's with no problems????? I also run SuperAntiSpyware, Windows Defender, and Spyware Blaster on them - none of which conflict with any of the others.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2008, 10:41 PM #4
I guess if you don't have problems then go for it;
I am In spyware/malware bootcamp and the rule is to use only one at a time sorry thats what the teachers say
I have run both also and had no problems on 2 pc's and one did have problems so there you go, there are a huge amount of hardware software configurations well into the millions and some will work and some will not
I am also a software/hardware test engineer and we ALWAYS get mixed results doing stuff like this. so you are getting lucky and are probably very experienced based on the joined date of July 1999 and the amount of posts you have...
Computer Specs
Member with 1,134 posts.

09-Aug-2008, 10:46 PM #5
Just hope someone can figure out the problem wgreene is having - will look around for possible causes.

This is one which might cause it:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/c...y/adaware.html

One question: Are you using AdAware SE or AdAware 2008? SE seems to have update problems in some situations.

Last edited by John Burns; 09-Aug-2008 at 10:54 PM..
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

09-Aug-2008, 11:41 PM #6
I too have always had Spybot and Adaware for years and never had any problems with either of them,Im guessing that he just had a problem at the time with trying to download the update from Spybot (it happens from time to time) with some of the download sites they give you the option to,maybe trying another download site will give a better result,its worth a try ....I also have Spywareblaster running all the time ....it must be something to do with the changes he has made in his programs of late that is causing the problem,probably in the configurations somewhere (who knows) just for the record my Anti-Virus is AVG free and my firewall is Sygate personal,none of them clash with each other .....A suggestion is that if he is using Adaware 2008,that he go back to Adaware 2007 and try it that way, I didnt like Adaware 2008 at all ....Ive found over the years that just because its new doesnt mean its better

Last edited by telecom69; 09-Aug-2008 at 11:59 PM..
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2008, 12:39 AM #7
While were on the subject what version of Spybot are you running?
I have it on all 6 of my PC's and about half of them are immunized for firefox and half aren't whats up with that ?
And I REALLY like Spybot and I am using version 1.6.0
All settings are default...
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 02:58 AM #8
Funny you should ask that,I had to look to find out, and found it was version 1.5.2.20 and you saying you had version 1.6 caused me to look if I was not using the latest version,and of course I wasnt, so I have now downloaded 1.6 version, so thanks for the memory jogger, cant understand how I missed the update news as I update Spybot every week without fail ....cant answer your question about firefox is not immunized as I dont use it,although I do have it on my computer and in Spybot it is ticked as immunized ....
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 08:00 AM #9
Multiple anti-spyware programs have been recommended here at SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_hog View Post
I guess if you don't have problems then go for it;
I am In spyware/malware bootcamp and the rule is to use only one at a time sorry thats what the teachers say
I have run both also and had no problems on 2 pc's and one did have problems so there you go, there are a huge amount of hardware software configurations well into the millions and some will work and some will not
I am also a software/hardware test engineer and we ALWAYS get mixed results doing stuff like this. so you are getting lucky and are probably very experienced based on the joined date of July 1999 and the amount of posts you have...
Although conflicts may develop, the senior security people here at TSG have recommended more than one anti-spyware program be used, since they use different methods and are apt to find varying infections. If a conflict should occur, simply eliminate one of the combatants.

Of course, only one anti-virus program should be active, or even installed, according to one knowledgeable person.

{redoak}
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 12:47 PM #10
There is nothing wrong with running a multitiude of spyware programs on the same system though some like Spysweeper will slow you down in use with others, but why Spybot and Adaware anyway, they are old technology and nothing any of the gurus would recommend anymore for anyting serious anyway. Try Superantispyware and Malwarebytes, they are today's software imho.
Member with 969 posts.

12-Aug-2008, 12:19 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom69 View Post
I too have always had Spybot and Adaware for years and never had any problems with either of them,Im guessing that he just had a problem at the time with trying to download the update from Spybot (it happens from time to time) with some of the download sites they give you the option to,maybe trying another download site will give a better result,its worth a try ....I also have Spywareblaster running all the time ....it must be something to do with the changes he has made in his programs of late that is causing the problem,probably in the configurations somewhere (who knows) just for the record my Anti-Virus is AVG free and my firewall is Sygate personal,none of them clash with each other .....A suggestion is that if he is using Adaware 2008,that he go back to Adaware 2007 and try it that way, I didnt like Adaware 2008 at all ....Ive found over the years that just because its new doesnt mean its better
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I installed the 2007 version of AdAware and ran it without incident, so perhaps there'll be no more conflicts with SpyBot. I'll run SpyBot shortly to see if any problems arise.

Thanks again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!