Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Need Help to remove Cyber Patrol

(!)

Member with 90 posts.

13-Aug-2008, 02:19 AM #1
Question Solved: Need Help to remove Cyber Patrol
Hello Everyone,
I have a Windows XP computer that I had installed a freebie Cyber patrol about 4 years ago. I do not have the passwords or anything to it anymore.
I would like to get it off of that computer. From what I can tell.... sigh. I must have tried to delete it before. Now, I've tried to do a system restore to get rid of it. It has three user accounts on it. Owner, Kids and a name
The owner and kids accounts are my troubles. I made kids a limited account and then tried to delete the account and delete all files. It wont let me do that. It also wont let me do that from the owner account though I was able to change the owner account to a limited account.

The account that does not seem to have anything to do with Cyber Patrol was created less than a year ago! It is the only account that I can freely get on the internet with from that computer.
I need some step by step instructions on how to clear out Cyber Patrol from that computer.
Help? Please?
MeadowLark...... just a simpleton of a computer using mom. Not very good at any of the technical stuff.
Senior Member with 860 posts.

14-Aug-2008, 10:21 PM #2
Hi, This is described at the Cyber Patrol site. It is fairly long so it might be better for you to go there.

http://www.cyberpatrol.com/uninstall4.asp

http://www.cyberpatrol.com/uninstall5.asp

If that does not help look at the FAQs

http://www.cyberpatrol.com/faq_ts.asp love Mal
Computer Specs
Member with 55,979 posts.

15-Aug-2008, 05:01 AM #3
Bad spyware there.

Was a Free License Giveaway Contest: CyberDefender at
http://www.castlecops.com/t179535-Fr..._Contest_.html

I posted asking if it was bad because there site was blocked by my hosts file so that got things started you can read about below.

http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=Articles&date=17-04-2007

You read about it here also and post over there and maybe Steve (MysteryFCM) will help you out.
http://temerc.com/forums/viewtopic.p...=CyberDefender
Member with 90 posts.

15-Aug-2008, 01:34 PM #4
Thankyou Mal and Hewee,
I did go read and got myself well lost on the list of to do's. I did go sign up at TeMerc to seek further help. I'll let you know how we do. I did mess up.. now the computer will not get online at all
MeadowLark
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2008, 08:36 PM #5
I know there was a lot to read but TeMerc and or MysteryFCM are good and should be able to help you out. It was MysteryFCM that did all the testing on CyberDefender. Real long thread on it over at CastleCops too but it got now where with all the lies from the CEO of CyberDefender who keep says things and then changing things and saying his software was good and had no spyware or adware on it when it did. Then he let Steve test it to show it did not have Adware but his test showed lots of Adware. Then the CEO stopped replying to post.
But no need to go there.
Member with 90 posts.

15-Aug-2008, 09:30 PM #6
Thankyou Hewee
I did sign up at TeMerc and got lots of help today. I got most of one computer cleared. then, I messed up again. sigh.. I got side tracked.
I accidently hit delete too soon on one. I'll probably find out tomorrow it is messed anything up. I'm tired. It took me four hours to get this far with kids fussin in the background,changing diapers and general "mommy" stuff.
Thankyou soo much for guiding me along
MeadowLark.... gonna sleep toooonight
Computer Specs

16-Aug-2008, 05:49 AM #7
Your welcome and your in good hands over there. Was reading the tread so lets hope you got it all taken care of.
Sleep well.
Member with 90 posts.

16-Aug-2008, 10:05 AM #8
Hey Hewee,
Is there a way for me to copy these instructions to get rid of Cyber Patrol? I'd be glad to give it to you.It was easy to click and do the exact steps... didn't make me so nervous to do it.
MeadowLark
Computer Specs

16-Aug-2008, 06:57 PM #9
You can go to the top right of this thread and click on the "Thread Tools" and then click on "Show Printable Version" and copy and paste it into notepad or print it out.
This I think will show you the printed version.
http://forums.techguy.org/print/7395...er-patrol.html

No I already won two free copies of CyberDefender but NO way am I going to install them.
Member with 90 posts.

16-Aug-2008, 07:25 PM #10
Here are the complete directions that I used to get rid of Cyber Patrol4 :

3) Full manual uninstall instructions.

Please pay close attention when following the procedures outlined below. If you receive a ‘File not found' at one of the steps just continue on with the rest of the instructions right through to the end and this will fully remove all parts of the program.

Disclaimer: SurfControl will not be held responsible should any problems occur due to deviation from the guidelines.

1. Open a command prompt.

i.e. Windows Start -> Run -> cmd

1. If you are using Windows XP Home you need to be in the C:\WINDOWS directory. To get to this you need to type cd c:\windows and then press Enter. Once at C:\WINDOWS go to step 4.

If you are using Windows XP Pro you need to be in the C:\WINDOWS directory. To get to this you need to type c: and press Enter, then type cd windows and press Enter. Once at C:\WINDOWS go to step 4.

If you are using Windows 2000 make sure you are in the c:\winnt directory. Once at C:\WINNT go to step 4.

(For info: you need to be in the main default system directory called windows or winnt depending of if you have NTFS of FAT file structure).

1. The command prompt that you should see on your screen is displayed on the left and in bold type. The instructions that you must type into the machine are slightly indented and are not in bold type. The 'Enter' key should be pressed after each line of non bold type. Make sure you leave spaces where there are spaces.

C:\Windows> attrib -s -h -r ic.exe

1. C:\Windows> attrib -s -h -r icfire.exe

1. C:\Windows> del ic.exe

1. C:\Windows> del icfire.exe

1. C:\Windows> del usage.log

1. C:\Windows> del system\msinet.exe

Note: This file may not be found so if you get such a message then please just confirm that you have typed the command correctly and if so then just continue on.

1. C:\Windows> exit

This will close the DOS window.

1. Open Windows Explorer and delete the c:\patrol directory

Close Windows Explorer.

1. Click on Windows Start > Run > type ‘regedit’ > OK

This will open the Registry Editor.

1. Navigate the same way you do within Windows Explorer. Follow the directions below to find the registry keys and delete them:

Click on the "+" symbol next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Click on the "+" symbol next to SOFTWARE
Click on the "+" symbol next to MICROSOFT
Click on the "+" symbol next to WINDOWS NT
Click on the "+" symbol next to CURRENTVERSION
Click on WINDOWS
Delete c:\patrol\cp.exe and ic.exe from load
To do so: Double click on load in the right hand side of the screen
This will now open the Edit String window and in the Value data: field you should see

c:\patrol\cp.exe and ic.exe. Hit backspace to remove all of this information.

Click OK.

1. Reboot the machine.

Please refer to http://www.cyberpatrol.com/ if you would like to reinstall CyberPatrol. Do not reinstall version 4 as it is no longer supported.

I hope this will help someone else too It was very easy directions to follow.
Thankyou again for the great assist in getting this taken care of
MeadowLark
Computer Specs

16-Aug-2008, 08:05 PM #11
Wow a nice and easy uninstall

Glad you got it all taken care of and thanks for the last post to help out others.

Should be noted that the uninstall later may be changed so you should ways look up new info to make sure.
Member with 90 posts.

16-Aug-2008, 09:07 PM #12
Oops! :blush:
If you just go straight to the Cyber Patrol website and click on the contact button, they will email the instructions. they say they will get back to you within like 2 business days. I got mine the same day about 2 hours later.
MeadowLark
Senior Member with 860 posts.

16-Aug-2008, 09:11 PM #13
HI, I am glad for You. It was a good idea posting the instructions because someone can search for it here and get it straight away. love Malcolm
Computer Specs

17-Aug-2008, 01:57 AM #14
MeadowLark7,

If some of the people here got the program and have trouble with it or going to there web site you need to check to see if your not blocking the sites with your hosts file because hphosts and maybe other has it in there hosts file.

Mine blocks...
cyberdefender site and others with the same name in it
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
remove cyber patrol

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!