Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Incomplete uninstallation

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Sep-2008, 12:53 PM #1
Question Incomplete uninstallation
For a short period, I was using Earthlink for my ISP. When I found out I would have to move, I canceled the service and tried to uninstall the software. A power failure left the uninstallation incomplete. When I got power back, there was not enough of the software left to complete the uninstallation.

Now, whenever I open an explorer window (IE, Windows Explorer, Control Panel, etc.), it tries to open the Earthlink software (popup blocker, Accelerator, etc.), displaying Message Boxes saying "Preparing to install," or "Configuring," etc. (Please see attached screen shots.) The software is no longer there, of course, so the attempts (in some cases, up to three attempts to install or configure various programs) fail.

I felt like this was caused by something left over in the Registry, so I bought Max Registry Cleaner to fix it. It didn't. I downloaded a couple of other free Registry utilities, but so far, nothing has worked.

My OS is Windows 2000 Pro.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

OffByOne
Attached Thumbnails
Incomplete uninstallation-el_install.jpg   Incomplete uninstallation-el_configure.jpg  
new tech guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Sep-2008, 12:59 PM #2
Firstly, all registry cleaners are bad, unless you have a fascination of reinstalling windows, i would not run any of them. In any case what you could do is load the earthlink software again from the cd and then try to remove them after the install.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Sep-2008, 11:19 PM #3
I ditched the disk before I knew that I had a problem, so that's not an option.

Anyone else?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

09-Sep-2008, 07:28 AM #4
You want to get the Microsoft Installer Cleanup utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. Running msicuu2.exe installes the utility.

Then run msicuu.exe from the C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up folder. Select ONLY the Earthlink related lines, then click Remove.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
configure, earthlink, install, uninstall

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!