Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

iolo System Mechanic alternative?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Sep-2008, 03:58 PM #1
Smile iolo System Mechanic alternative?
I currently have iolo's System mechanic 7.5. I think its a good program for just doing system cleanups and the like, but my friend who uses SM 8 (incidently he introduced me to SM) says that its suddenly telling him he can't reinstall after he had to wipe his HD.

I'm not totally freaked out about this happening to me, but I would like to know which programs you guys think is a viable and better alternative to SM. I have done the googling, but I prefer to hear it from a forum with members I know and trust!

So theres my question, what is the best alternative to System Mechanic?

Thanks a lot!
Member with 1,138 posts.

14-Sep-2008, 10:36 PM #2
I used to use System Mechanic but when they went to making all the decisions on what to clean etc., they lost me. After Version 5, they started that policy. I tried versions 6 and 7 but quickly removed them. Now, it looks like they are playing the "subscription" game on some of their software. I bought their drive eraser and ran into that. That is a deal killer on any software for me.

While using Version 5, I found SystemSuite and tried it. It is so far superior to System Mechanic that they are not even comparable in my opinion. You might want to give it a try, especially if you can get a trial version or a 100% rebate on it.
Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

15-Sep-2008, 12:17 PM #3
Hmm, SystemSuite is the software from avanquest isn't it? I'll have a look into that one then. Thanks dmullen!

Any other suggesstions are greatly apprieciated!
Member with 1,138 posts.

15-Sep-2008, 12:27 PM #4
You are welcome. Glad to help.

Yes, it is the one from Avanquest. It is available sometimes with rebates.
Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

16-Sep-2008, 04:24 PM #5
Well, I downloaded and installed the trial version and I have to say that it looks the part, but I just wonder about the antivirus. I've been a long standing fan of AVG free, so will avanquest antivirus be as thorough as AVG?
Member with 1,138 posts.

16-Sep-2008, 11:03 PM #6
I also have used AVG for several years but this most recent version has really annoying pop up ads that always block whatever I am trying to view. It is bad enough that I am going to look for an alternative to it too.

I have used the Avanquest Anti-Virus a few times when AVG is down or turned off for some reason. Never saw anything wrong with it but always liked AVG until recently. I may use the Avanquest anti-virus or try out Avast or some other program.

Avanquest Anti-Virus can be turned off or left out at set up if you do not want to use it.
Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

17-Sep-2008, 04:08 AM #7
Hmm, AVG will always detect infected items as soon as they download or attempt to open. I'll run them side-by-side for a while and see which is the best. Thanks for all your help dmullen!

Last edited by DSL_Dragon; 17-Sep-2008 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Added thanks!
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
17-Sep-2008, 04:47 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_Dragon View Post
Hmm, AVG will always detect infected items as soon as they download or attempt to open. I'll run them side-by-side for a while and see which is the best. Thanks for all your help dmullen!
You should not run 2 AV apps.
Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

18-Sep-2008, 01:44 PM #9
Ah, right. Thanks for the tip there, MysticEyes! Also, I've heard a lot of people talking about TuneUp Utilities. Is that as good as SystemSuite?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
alternative, iolo, software, system mechanic, utility

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!