Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Flash drive backup help

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Oct-2008, 10:15 PM #1
Flash drive backup help
I want to be able to plug my flash drive into my computer and have it automatically back up my files.
The requirements are:
-must automatically back up files on the flash drive from a predetermined folder
-must be silent (invisible to the person (me) using the computer)
-must backup files fast
-must not leave evidence of the flash drive ever being plugged into the computer

Also, it would be nice if the sound effects of plugging in and removing the drive were disabled.

Thanks, help with finding a solution would really be appreciated

p.s. I'm using windows XP
Member with 433 posts.

Experience: Software Developer
01-Oct-2008, 11:21 PM #2
sounds like a really good way of stealing files -- just walk by a machine, plug in your flash drive, remove it, and you're done.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Oct-2008, 02:04 AM #3
I want to be able to do this because it would make it easier to get files from many different computers quickly.
Here's my situation:
I have 6 different computers of my own as well as around 12 others belonging to co-workers. I have to collect information from the same folders on these computers almost every day. My problem is that the computers are being used when I need the files. I end up inconveniencing myself as well as many other people.
I would never use something like this to steal files.
Member with 433 posts.

Experience: Software Developer
02-Oct-2008, 11:24 AM #4
Quote:
-must not leave evidence of the flash drive ever being plugged into the computer
Quote:
Well, it's that part about not leaving any evidence that makes it sound like you're trying to surreptitously take information without the owner of the computer knowing about it.

The typical way that one would backup a number of computers is over the network. It's quick, efficient, easy, doesn't "inconvenience anyone", and you can automate it. For example, take a look at SyncBack (http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncbac...-features.html).
Trusted Advisor with 15,687 posts.

02-Oct-2008, 11:46 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by person123456789 View Post
-must be silent (invisible to the person (me) using the computer)

No one knows of your intent here.

You should ask your question somewhere else.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Oct-2008, 12:22 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by person123456789 View Post
I want to be able to do this because it would make it easier to get files from many different computers quickly.
Here's my situation:
I have 6 different computers of my own as well as around 12 others belonging to co-workers. I have to collect information from the same folders on these computers almost every day. My problem is that the computers are being used when I need the files. I end up inconveniencing myself as well as many other people.
I'm assuming that these are all networked somehow? If so, you should be able to share the folders in question and copy the files from your own computer without even having to go to each computer. As to your wording about "leaving evidence" --- that is not making your end mission sound anything other than sneaky.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-Oct-2008, 02:51 PM #7
In spite of the interesting explanation about why you want to do this, I'm going to close this one.

I really doubt that TSG wants to be involved in this activity, because quite frankly, your "reasons" are more than a bit thin.

Since we can't possibly know the intent here, I'm putting this in the category of stuff like keyloggers, etc.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
backup, files, flash drive, help me, program

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!