Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CPU at 100%, Fan always running, Computer Slow!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Dec-2008, 01:05 PM #1
Unhappy CPU at 100%, Fan always running, Computer Slow!
Hello,
I've just joined the Forum as I'm in dire need of assistance. I've wasted too much time on this computer waiting for the screens to appear. OK, enough venting - here's the specs:
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with a WindowsXP operating system. Over the last few months the system has been incredibly slow, the fan is always running and when I check under the Windows Task bar the CPU is at 100% with the largest culprits being explorer.exe, iexplore.exe and svchost.exe.

I recently purchased an external hard drive and restored my computer to the manufacturer's setting so I could start fresh. I've only added back things I need. I also installed McAffee security. I wondered if I should download a registry scan to see if that will help but I'd really appreciate any suggestions before I head down another unknown path.
Thanks so much!
Junior Member with 9 posts.

11-Dec-2008, 09:51 PM #2
I don't know about the processor at 100%, I wonder if it is possible that you have malware even after fresh install. Was it from recovery partition or discs? But I did use a vacuum on the inside of my very old computer a couple of months ago because my fan was running constantly, and would only shut off after a restart. After vacuuming out a TON of dust, the fan has stopped running constantly "for no apparent reason" (translation: overheating, i guess)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!