Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

move one program to another pc

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

03-Jan-2009, 11:54 PM #1
move one program to another pc
I have a new pc and the is one program on old pc from a company that is out of business and I dont have the install disk that is a big part of my business.Is there anyway to move this program? Dont want anything else from old pc.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jan-2009, 12:00 AM #2
What program?
Some older programs might be movable, but most are not.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,682 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jan-2009, 12:02 AM #3
u can try 2 things. burn it to a cd and then put in your new computer or put it on a thumbdrive or external harddrive and transfer it over.hope this helps u.

04-Jan-2009, 02:11 AM #4
I did copy the entire folder on to a disk but got a error when I hit the start (.exe) command. Does the Registry key matter? Can I ghost just one program with some kind of software?
Computer Specs
Member with 89 posts.

04-Jan-2009, 02:18 AM #5
you could manually trawl through the registry, export all references to it as reg files and then import them to the new computer's registry. Tedious but it sometimes works.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
04-Jan-2009, 02:23 AM #6
Programs cannot generally be moved. For one thing, it is often violation of the program's licensing. The main reason is that an installation is a complex process where files are copied to multiple locations and the registry keys created. That is why we have installers in the first place.

Though some software exists to attempt these moves, I'm afraid we can't help you unless you can show us something in the program's license that says you are allowed to move the program or have multiple copies of it.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,682 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jan-2009, 02:51 AM #7
if the company is out of business and u dont have the install disks anymore or u cant show us anything than i have to agree and im afraid u may be out of luck then.
Computer Specs

04-Jan-2009, 02:53 AM #8
If you tell us what program, we could find out more about it, and with luck, maybe even suggest a replacement. It seems a bit strange that the installation media for a program that a business depends on was not safe-guarded in some way. Hard drives fail all the time and everything would be lost.

04-Jan-2009, 09:55 AM #9
Ok the program xpressign which came on a pc of a company we brought out a few year ago has key features we like.Its still working fine on that pc but its older and its the only thing we use off of it.After much search I think I may have found a answer. Has anyone ever used this software?

http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/
Member with 1,690 posts.

04-Jan-2009, 04:43 PM #10
Exactly what error do you get when trying to start the transplanted program?

And what does the program do? Maybe we could help you find a newer program that does what you need.

04-Jan-2009, 07:04 PM #11
The error is "can not connect with user database" And the program has templates of sign designs which we can edit and a estimating part that we like. This was a problem I was hoping to solve by asking others also the program I thought would work moves the OS a well and thats not what I need..
Member with 390 posts.

04-Jan-2009, 08:07 PM #12
This may help

http://www.pickmeapp.com/

and a list of programs it supports. If your program is not listed it's still worth a try.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...U_fHWRL_BStqMA
Member with 1,690 posts.

04-Jan-2009, 09:01 PM #13
Having moved commercial software, (with instructions from the vendor), I would try moving the data base into the main program folder.

Another option, would be to use VMWare Workstation and create a virtual machine out of the old machine's OS with the software included.

Then you could run the old OS and software as a virtual machine on the new machine.

VMWare Workstation is kinda pricey at $189 US but it would get the job done. And there's a trial download so you could see if it's what you need. Of course you may need to buy a license to run the VM OS on your new machine.

http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/
or
That's just a couple of possibilities, I'm sure there's others.

Edit: I just did some research on VMWare and found it can be done with the free VMWare Converter and the image can be run in the free VMWare Player or free VMWare Server.

Here's a tutorial to create a virtual image to run on a Linux host but the image preparation is the same to run it on a windows host:

http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

Last edited by DVOM; 04-Jan-2009 at 09:32 PM..
Computer Specs

04-Jan-2009, 09:53 PM #14
Considering that this program was licensed to someone else, I'm afraid we need to close this one. It is doubtful that the EULA made provisions for the transfer of license.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!