Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Speaker port won't work on front panel new case

(!)

carberg carberg is offline carberg has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jan-2009, 07:52 PM #1
Solved: Speaker port won't work on front panel new case
I have just put my gear into a new case with front usb and sound ports. I am using built in Realtek 5.10 HD audio driving Creative 6 channel speaker system with the green plug into the rear green port so that I can get game sounds into the speakers. MB is Asrock K8NF6P-VSTA with XP Home SP3 and 768M DDR 400.

I need to be able to switch off the creative system and insert earphones into the front jack without changing plugs over, but the front speaker port will not work at the same time as the having the Creative system plugged in. However if I put he green plug of the Creative system into the grey jack then I do not get game or system sounds, only music.

What info can you give me to help sort out this dilemma?

Carberg
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jan-2009, 10:00 PM #2
Is the Creative card a pci card and if yes it should have a slot to plug the cable from the front port into.
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2009, 11:02 PM #3
Thanks for the query Rich-M but it is using the inbuilt system on the motherboard with the extra ports for HD audio output and not an add-on PCI card.

The front speaker and microphone port of the new case use a separate plug that takes it's capability from a distinct plug on the motherboard that is labeled "front audio port"

The problem seems to be emanting from the fact that I am using the rear "green" audio port to extract the system and game sounds from Realtek for the driving of the Creative system, as they are not present if I use the "grey' INPUT/OUTPORT" port of the HD part of the audio ports.

This seems to preclude the normal usage of the front port at the same time, and I can find no way to change it within the Realtek audio manager.

I want to be able to chuck my earphones in the front when my Missus goes to bed but not have to alter any of the existing plugs from the Creative system or scrap the Realtek driver as it comes with the motherboard.

Any suggestions will be followed up with gusto.

Thanks

Carberg

PS. I have already tried changing the Realtek driver to "headphones" from the 6 Channel option to see if it changed it, but to no avail.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jan-2009, 11:48 PM #4
Ooops Creative speaker system, I missed that completely!

Last edited by Rich-M; 08-Jan-2009 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: misread post
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

08-Jan-2009, 03:58 PM #5
Is the Front Audio panel an AC'97 type or HDA type? (The documentation for the Case should say)
If it's AC'97, you have to set the chipset Front Panel setting in the BIOS from Auto to Enabled, and disable the front panel detection in the Realtek HD Audio Manager from within Windows. See pg 19 in the MB User Guide.

The manual does not give a lot of detail, but the wiring instructions for an AC 97 panel doesn't use the presence# or J_sense connections, hence the need for the above changes to enable it. Then the speakers plugged into the rear, and anything plugged into the front should both work at the same time.
I suspect it might not be able to detect when something is plugged in to the front panel, so it won't disable the rear jacks. You would have to turn off the power for the speakers manually.

You didn't give the model number for the Creative speakers, but if it has 6 speakers, its actually a 5.1 channel system, not 6; Front L+R, Rear L+R, Front Center (the 5 part) and subwoofer (the .1 part)
The grey jack on the back is for side speakers in an 7.1 channel setup (8 speakers), and should be disabled if the system is configured for a 5.1 system.

HTH

Jerry
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2009, 07:43 PM #6
Thanks heaps... It is fixed.
The problem was in the difference between the case and the MB.
MB was HDA but case was AC97. Switching the HDA and front panel to enabled in the BIOS and switching the HD Audio manager to disable front panel detection made it all work well.
Your blood is worth bottling. Many thanks.
Carberg
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!