Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My computer is running EXTREMELY slow. Please help me bring it back to the way it was

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Jan-2009, 09:13 PM #1
Unhappy My computer is running EXTREMELY slow. Please help me bring it back to the way it was
My computer is running EXTREMELY slow. I absolutely dread restarting it, and just opening a program like Word leaves me with an hourglass for several minutes before I can even begin to type anything. There are currently 74 processes running on my computer according to Windows Task Manager. Some of these processes I recognize as things I have attempted to remove from my computer but always seem to reappear out of the blue (ie. Aol software). Iíve run Spybot and have attempted to close startup programs that I donít want, but there are MANY things that I have no idea what they mean. I canít help but feel that there is a load of unwanted programs that I donít even know exist running but I donít know what to do to remove them. There are also many services that are running and I would really like for someone to help me decide which of these processes and services I need to keep and which should be removed or stopped. I have been told to consider reformatting and reinstalling windows, but I thought Iíd give this site a shot first to see if the problem can be fixed instead since I do not have a windows cd right now (it came on the computer). I went to the Gateway Support website and scanned my system for its current configuration which is supposed to provide detailed information about my system as it is currently configured. It listed a summary of data as well as the hardware and software (running and installed) on my computer. If any of this information is helpful in deciding whatís wrong with my computer, please let me know what you want to know as there are a lot of things listed. Iíve already run spybot and both of my anti virus programs are

I also have a question about something I noticed. When looking at the summary of the information the Gateway website provided I saw that under Memory it said:
1024MB physical
90% free resources
2 memory slots, 0 free (512+512)

HOWEVER, under the performance tab of my windows task manager where it says Physical Memory (MB) it says:
Total: 893
Cached: 289
Free: 1

Now Iím not sure what any of this means but I do know that my computer says it came with 1 GB of RAM. I also know that this is not enough and is a big reason why my computer runs so slow. Still, my computer used to be much faster despite the low amount of RAM, so something has to be slowing it down. I plan on buying more as soon as I have the money (Iím a poor college student) but in the meantime, I would like to fix the original problem. I donít know much about computers but Iím pretty sure that physical memory is RAM. If this is the case, then shouldnít I expect to see total: 1024 rather than 893? I know that this amount probably doesnít make much of a difference, but I canít help but wonder how I can just lose over 100 MB of RAM like that?? It canít just grow legs and walk awayÖcan someone shed some light on this?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jan-2009, 11:48 PM #2
Onboard video card is holding back the missing ram. You need to start by installing hijack this and then scanning with it and posting a log here:
http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...-10227353.html
new tech guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jan-2009, 02:33 AM #3
Dont forget the fact that superfetch is sucking that ram down. People tell me it will suck down everything up to 4 gb, when you go over that number you will finally start to see freed up ram. All superfetch is is a new version of the prefetch used in xp where it loads parts of programs into memory for quicker launching later.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jan-2009, 06:14 AM #4
The "missing" RAM is being used by the video subsystem. That's standard for onboard video.
Is this Vista?
If so, you can control startup programs by using "Software Explorer" in Windows Defender/Tools.
More help is here:
http://www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/11...dows-defender/
http://apcmag.com/how_to_take_contro...ta_startup.htm
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 07:39 AM #5
Unfortunately you're using a 1.6 Turdion laptop with onboard video trying to run Vista. That's a pretty lethal combination even starting out fresh. By all means check out the startup and runtime components, you should get some improvement but there should be a factory image partition and/or the opportunity to make restore DVDs so that you could start out fresh (all my desktop Gateways have it, or in one case I got a full install disk).

Even installing fairly benign and resource-"light" security on such a system is going to significantly slow it down again so in this case you will have to run the bare essentials to keep the response time tolerable.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,517 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 09:43 AM #6
74 running processes in Windows Task Manager is too many. Your computer obviously has too many unnecessary programs running in the background. Post a HijackThis log here so we can assist you in trimming down the startup load.

You're also running Vista Home Premium with only 1024 MB of RAM and probably have the aero glass and other visual effects enabled, so that's slowing down your computer even more. It's my guess that the on-board display adapter has 128 MB of RAM dedicated to its use, so that leaves only 896 MB of RAM to run Vista and all the other programs.

According to the CRUCIAL site, your computer supports a maximum of 2048 MB of DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM. A 2048 MB kit(2 - 1024 MB modules) can be purchased from the site for only $26.00 plus shipping. I strongly suggest you do it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 11-Jan-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,239 posts.

Experience: Getting there...
11-Jan-2009, 11:03 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
74 running processes in Windows Task Manager is too many. Your computer obviously has too many unnecessary programs running in the background.
74!!! What's on that computer! It's way too many.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

11-Jan-2009, 01:20 PM #8
karbo:

I have no doubt at all that the lack of RAM and the bloated startup load is what's making that computer run like a snail.

hewwo2u2:

Get a HijackThis log posted here. We're at a standstill until then.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 01:37 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
karbo:

I have no doubt at all that the lack of RAM and the bloated startup load is what's making that computer run like a snail.

hewwo2u2:

Get a HijackThis log posted here. We're at a standstill until then.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think there has to be more than that, but no one is rushing to show us a hijackthis log, so until then we are guessing and need to move on to where we get some better response?
Computer Specs

11-Jan-2009, 01:45 PM #10
Rich:

I agree with you. There may be additional problems(an infestation of spyware/malware/viruses, a large buildup of temp/junk files, etc.) that we're not aware of yet.

Let's see what the log shows - if one gets posted.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 02:07 PM #11
wow! thanks everyone for such a quick response! Sorry for the delay- I posted last night right before leaving the house and when I returned I went straight to bed. I promise I will be on this thing all day today as to not make anyone wait anymore. I really appreciate everyone's help! I am downloading HiJackThis right now and will post a log ASAP.
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 02:24 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairnooks View Post
Unfortunately you're using a 1.6 Turdion laptop with onboard video trying to run Vista. That's a pretty lethal combination even starting out fresh. By all means check out the startup and runtime components, you should get some improvement but there should be a factory image partition and/or the opportunity to make restore DVDs so that you could start out fresh (all my desktop Gateways have it, or in one case I got a full install disk).

Even installing fairly benign and resource-"light" security on such a system is going to significantly slow it down again so in this case you will have to run the bare essentials to keep the response time tolerable.

when I saw that it only came with one Gig of RAM I was wondering why it would come with Vista. And this onboard video that is using RAM...I find this a little unfair. Like false advertisement or cheating, no? If they are going to say there is X amount of RAM, someone like me would expect to get that much available. I guess that's sales...
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 02:24 PM #13
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:11:35 PM, on 1/11/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Motorola\SMSERIAL\sm56hlpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\shstat.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\UdaterUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Users\Jessica\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\McTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_clipbook.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.gateway.com/g/sidepanel.h...s=PTB&M=MT6456
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: HP Print Clips - {053F9267-DC04-4294-A72C-58F732D338C0} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_framework.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\scriptcl.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\google\BAE.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMSERIAL] C:\Program Files\Motorola\SMSERIAL\sm56hlpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BigFix] c:\program files\Bigfix\bigfix.exe /atstartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\UdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [StartCCC] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Jessica\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: HP Clipbook - {58ECB495-38F0-49cb-A538-10282ABF65E7} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_extensions.dll
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {700259D7-1666-479a-93B1-3250410481E8} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_extensions.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://support.gateway.com/support/p.../PCPitStop.CAB
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgwlntf - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\avgwlntf.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Resident Shield Service (AvgCoreSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgrssvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: LVCOMSer - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee McShield (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Manager (McTaskManager) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: PrismXL - New Boundary Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
End of file - 8036 bytes
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 02:38 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairnooks View Post
there should be a factory image partition and/or the opportunity to make restore DVDs so that you could start out fresh (all my desktop Gateways have it, or in one case I got a full install disk).
I do remember seeing an option to restore the computer back to its factory condition, but someone told me that even new computers with factory default have extra "junk" that is included that I would never use. He recommended I reinstall Windows instead. What's your opinion on this? The problem is I don't have a Windows disk that I know of.
Computer Specs
Member with 325 posts.

11-Jan-2009, 02:59 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughv View Post
The "missing" RAM is being used by the video subsystem. That's standard for onboard video.
Is this Vista?
If so, you can control startup programs by using "Software Explorer" in Windows Defender/Tools.
Yes, this is Vista. One of the first things I did was remove programs via Software Explorer; however, I did not remove very many due to not knowing whether or I not I needed some of the things that were there. :/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
background programs, clean, processes, slow

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!