Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer freezes or slow due to skype script

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jan-2009, 05:06 AM #1
Unhappy Computer freezes or slow due to skype script
Sometimes after a long wait of slugish performance a window appears that basically says that a skype script is running should I cancel it or let it run. As soon as I cancel it the computer starts working fast or normal again. This happens even when skype is NOT running. How do I keep the script from starting in the first place? I need skype so uninstalling is not an option. But when I do not need skype , I do not want the software running any scripts of any kind, because it slows the computer to a crawl. Unfortunately the window does not appear all the time, so next time I will write down the name of the script. Sorry.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jan-2009, 08:49 AM #2
Its a malformed script and Windows just keeps chugging on it, trying to make it run slowing the system to a crawl sometimes. Depending on the source of the script you might not be able to do anything about it but I would uninstall Skype and then reinstall the latest version and see if that helps, rebooting inbetween, even if not told to do so.
Computer Specs
Member with 641 posts.

19-Jan-2009, 05:56 PM #3
Can you give the full error message? I have used skype and never had any such problem. Follow the advice fairnooks gave.
Computer Specs

23-Jan-2009, 03:45 PM #4
Sorry for the delay but I run into an unexpected problem on the way. Backup. Wanted to backup my chats before uninstalling and went to skype "help" to find an example of "customer service" in the section FAQ I get
How do I backup my configuration and chat history?

To backup your Skype for Windows configuration and history files, please go to C:/Documents and Settings/your_windows_username/ApplicationData/Skype and copy this directory somewhere safe (burn to CD, etc.) Copy the files back to that location to restore your date.

well there is no application data directory under none of user,owner or allusers
so I have been spinning my wheels looking. Did a seasrch of files with skype in their name, thinking the last date modified will give it away, but they must name it something else does is not skype, nor skipe ids. So I am still searching for the chat-line file name to back it up. In the meantime I still want to tahnk you for your help and let you know the reason I have not applied it yet. Thanks

Bert
Computer Specs
Member with 641 posts.

23-Jan-2009, 03:55 PM #5
I think you dont have the option of showing hidden files on. Go to folder options ---> View tab ----> Look for hidden files and folders. Choose the option to show hidden files and folders.
Now you will be able to see the Application Data folder.

23-Jan-2009, 04:01 PM #6
Application Data may be a hidden folder, so do you have hidden folders revealed?

Edit: Swing and a miss (late). Excuse: Multi-pass.., er, tasking.
Computer Specs
Member with 641 posts.

23-Jan-2009, 04:33 PM #7
No problemo
Computer Specs

23-Jan-2009, 09:31 PM #8
Ok guys Thanks. I unistalled and installed back. Lets see if it works . time will tell. One thing that I notice is that the version did not change V3.8. hopefully a newer version of 3.8. Thanks again
Computer Specs
Member with 641 posts.

24-Jan-2009, 05:17 AM #9
Ok buddy.. you can post back if u get a problem.
You can also download the 4.0 beta version of skype. I had it installed on my PC, and it works well. Anyways, a stable version of 4.0 is due soon in Feb as i read. So you can wait some more.

24-Jan-2009, 07:32 AM #10
Leo and Paul from WW91 were using 4.0 beta cuz it was working on Windows 7 but they were not thrilled with the new interface.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
scripts, skype, slow computer

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!