Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Need help with a windows 95 Packard Bell

(!)

Member with 54 posts.

16-Feb-2009, 08:51 PM #1
Solved: Need help with a windows 95 Packard Bell
I need help with my 95 Packard Bell. One day I turned the computer on and it entered "kiddos" mode just like it normally did, but when I entered advanced mode, it had a error message saying something about a registration error and I needed to restart the computer; which I did. When the computer restarted however, it wouldn't go into advance mode; it would just reloaded "kiddos" mode. I can't search the hard drive unless I do it from DOS. This computer is a spare one, so if worse comes to worse, I might just have to "pitch" it. please help!
Member with 54 posts.

20-Feb-2009, 08:22 PM #2
bump
Member with 2,310 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Feb-2009, 06:53 PM #3
Pardon my ignorance, but after working on computers for about 30 years I still don't know what "kiddos" is. Please explain.

And what is normal about it? (ie. "it entered 'kiddos' mode just like it normally did") ??
Member with 54 posts.

24-Feb-2009, 09:09 PM #4
Kiddos is part of a program named cybertrios on old Packard bell computers that came with it that when you start up the computer, it starts in kiddos mode which basically protects the hard drive and other important things from being deleted; and is meant for kid to use. Advanced mode gives you full control of the computer, just as a dell or other computer would. My problem is that my computer thinks it's in Advanced mode, when it's actually in Kiddos mode; not letting me access the c drive. I want to delete cybertrios but I'm afraid that it might screw things up more.(By the way there's a third, basic mode but is unimportant at the moment.)
Member with 2,310 posts.

24-Feb-2009, 10:50 PM #5
From what I have been able to find at Packard Bell, CyberTrio, and there is also another one called CyberCoach, that are programs that run ON TOP of the Windows 95 Operating System. It does not work with even the mere upgrade to Windows 98.

To me, that tells me that you can eliminate CyberTrio with no affect to the rest of the computer. So there should be no fear there.

My question is: why are you running Win95 at all?
Granted, what you have is an old computer, and you may want to keep it around for your children. But why not just upgrade it to Win98? The hardware requirements are not that much greater to adequately run Win98, and there are just so many improvements in operation and usability when going from Win95 to Win98.

But another question I have is why keep this dinosaur around at all. I have thrown away better computers than that. If you just go to CraigsList.org and check the FREE section. There you will probably find computers that are being given away. I see them often.

Last edited by ChuckE; 25-Feb-2009 at 06:02 PM..
Member with 2,391 posts.

25-Feb-2009, 04:00 PM #6
do you have the w95 disc / floppies, etc
that came with it?
packard bell was one of the first pc makers,
before they left the usa,
to start using the 'hidden' partition,
on the harddrive for reinstalls,
or has your pc been reformatted and this gone?
you may be able to do a repair install,
to let you get to the windows add/remove programs,
then as chucke suggests,
just uninstall it,
do you have info on this pc that you need?
Member with 54 posts.

25-Feb-2009, 08:58 PM #7
First of all no, in fact this is a spare computer I got for free and I'm using it solely for learning purposes. second, I was thinking about upgrading to win98, but the disk drive is busted(it IS A piece of junk!). Third, I can't get to control panel disappeared because it thinks it's in kiddos, and when I typed it in the address bar it says "access to the resource 'c:\control panel'"has been disallowed. Some how, I was able to however, find the DOS prompt; can I use it to get there?

Last edited by steelersfan32; 25-Feb-2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: missing a quotation mark
Member with 2,391 posts.

27-Feb-2009, 04:56 PM #8
the dos promt COULD be used to REMOVE the software,
but don't ask me HOW,
sure don't remember all the ol' dos prompts,
old, senile, memory failing......
or, at least,
'that's my story an' i'm stickin' to it!'
hey, sdfox still messes with that stuff,
he hangs out in the dos / pda / other forums,
i'll give him a pm,
see if he would have some ideas,
Member with 2,310 posts.

27-Feb-2009, 09:55 PM #9
You should not have to remove the Cyber-anything software, all you need to do is not run it. If it loads, or attempts to load at startup then you need to find out where it is being told to start from, be it the Autoexec.bat, or the Config.sys, (as Win95 still used them) or a Startup folder, or one of a few places in the Registry.

If you don't have editing capabilities on any of those areas, you may need to start up in Safe mode (I think Win95 had that, but not positive).
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 386 posts.

Experience: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
28-Feb-2009, 02:12 PM #10
If this was my machine I would start the machine with a Win95 boot disk--you need a floppy disk handy

http://sdfox7.com/95a/boot95cd.exe

This program will automatically create a boot disk for you. Drive R:\ will be your default BANANA driver for the CD-ROM.

and then proceed to format using a:\format c:

I would not worry about or touch anything from Packard Bell on there; it likely does not affect the operating system at all. They are liekly administrative tools including for the BIOS that you don't need to touch.
Member with 2,310 posts.

28-Feb-2009, 03:28 PM #11
Well, if it were not my machine, I would not suggest that a person of questionable DOS and PC skills reformat their hard drive. Especially not knowing if they have any means to get their Windows OS back.

Seems to me that telling someone to reformat their drive, and then saying it will not affect the operating system, is going to get that newbie into a lot of trouble.
Member with 2,391 posts.

02-Mar-2009, 05:12 PM #12
steelersfan32,
did a lot of searching,
found the following which MAY help you,
you may click the links yourself,
you may find other items there even,
so, go for it!!!
------------------------------------------
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/it...gacy_PB&g=1400
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/it...?i=topic_00632
Part numbers and format numbers

Situation
Browsing through the Packard Bell web site, I have come across the terms format number and part number many times.
What do these terms and numbers stand for?

Solution
Part number
Packard Bell uses part numbers as a product or item reference.
Every item has been assigned a part number, generally consisting of ten digits.
The part number of a diskette or a Master CD is, for instance, written on its label.
Update diskettes, fixes, etc. have a special part number starting with REFFIUP followed by eight digits.
Examples: Master CD 6709880304 (the part number is 6709880304)
Master CD 67098803xx (the xx can stand for any two digits)

Format number
The format number determines the language, the software package, and the hardware drivers installed on a particular computer.
This number consists of eight digits, for instance 20000004.
It is possible, however, that you encounter a format number like 16030xxx.
In this case, the xxx can stand for any three digits, which means that the information applies to several format numbers.

How can I determine the format number of my computer?
The best way to determine the format number of a system is to look in the file PB_FOR.VER, located in the C:\WINDOWS directory.
To do so, follow these steps:
1. Click the Start button, select Programs and click MS-DOS Prompt.
2. If the MS-DOS prompt does not stay at the C:\WINDOWS directory, type CD\WINDOWS and press <Enter>.
3. Type the command TYPE PB_FOR.VER and press <Enter>; you will see something like in the following example:
. [see attached pic] Here the format number is 18000001.
4. Type EXIT and press <Enter> to return to Windows.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/it...form_legacy_PB
The programs CyberTrio and CyberCoach have been installed on Packard Bell systems with format number 200000xx and 220000xx.
How do I recover the original preinstalled software?

Situation
How do I recover the original preinstalled software?

Solution
To recover Windows NT 4.0 preinstalled software for the following Format Number (only used to identify the preinstalled software):
42000201 Windows NT 4.0 wks format 9708 UK
42000202 Windows NT 4.0 wks format 9708 FR
42000203 Windows NT 4.0 wks format 9708 GE
42000206 Windows NT 4.0 wks format 9708 IT

Necessary items:
N122200000 Recovery Boot Diskette NT for PowerMate Enterprise v1.0

and one of the following:
N111300001 Recovery CD PowerMate Windows NT 4.0 wks English
N111300002 Recovery CD PowerMate Windows NT 4.0 wks Francais
N111300003 Recovery CD PowerMate Windows NT 4.0 wks Deutsch
N111300006 Recovery CD PowerMate Windows NT 4.0 wks Italiano
Insert the Recovery CD and the Recovery Boot Diskette of your language.
Switch on the system to start the recovery process.

How can I backup or restore the Windows 95 system configuration files?

Situation
I want to backup or restore the system configuration files in Windows 95. What is the best way to do this?

Details
The Microsoft Windows 95 Emergency Recovery Utility (ERU) is designed to provide a backup of your system configuration in case a problem should occur. The utility can be found on the Windows 95 CD in the directory \OTHER\MISC\ERU.

Solution
To create a backup of all or some of your system configuration files, simply run the file ERU.EXE and follow the instructions on the screen.
You will need to choose a location to store your backup information.
The recommended location is a startup disk in drive A:, but you can specify any other location (including network drives).
If you wish to make backups of only certain files, just click the Custom button at the file list screen.
You can then clear the check box of files you do not wish to back up.

In order to execute the restoration utility (ERD.EXE) you will need to boot your machine to the MS-DOS prompt (real mode).
If you do not wish to restore all of the files listed, simply use the space bar to uncheck them, then begin the restore process.

To boot your machine to the MS-DOS prompt, reboot it and press the <F8> key when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message on the screen.
From the menu that appears choose the Safe Mode Command Prompt Only option.
You can then change to the backup directory and run the ERD.EXE utility.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Need help with a windows 95 Packard Bell-packard-bell-part-format-number  
Member with 2,391 posts.

02-Mar-2009, 11:29 PM #13
steelersfan32,
does this help?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286135

check this old thread:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95...b-win98se.html
scroll down to this post:
19-Oct-2002, 02:27 PM #8
this link:
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/faq/pulsoft.htm#kiddos
Getting out of Kiddos

Everytime you start the machine it goes straight into Kiddos and won't let you out. The solution -

Right-Click on the desktop, and create a new shortcut.
On the command line enter EXPLORER, then click Next, then Finish.
You now have a new icon on the desktop called EXPLORER, double-click on it.
In the left hand panel double-click on the Kiddos folder, and then on the CyberTrio folder.
In the right hand panel double-click on CyberTrio Setup.
Now select Advanced Mode and click on OK.
Close the Explorer Window, and delete the Explorer Icon.
You can now reboot, the PC will start up into full Windows
Member with 54 posts.

03-Mar-2009, 06:51 PM #14
Thanks but I just got an win98 dell, and I'm probably going to get rid of of the 95. I have two questions 1:Is it possible if I reformat it, to mount the 95 hard drive in the 98 and use it for extra memory(I know about static electricity and how it can blow a mother board real quick!) and 2: should I mark this page as solved?
Member with 2,310 posts.

03-Mar-2009, 07:10 PM #15
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: There is no such thing as a "95 hard drive." Hard drives are formated in one of many different file standards. Most probably you are using Fat16 or Fat32 with Win95. By just re-formatting to whatever is need to be used for your computer will make that secondary drive usable.

And mark this thread as solved, if you have your answers.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!