Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Norton Antivirus - box stuck in corner of screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Mar-2009, 11:09 AM #1
Solved: Norton Antivirus - box stuck in corner of screen
Since I renewed my subscription to Norton Antivirus on 1/20/2009, I have sometimes gotten a small box in the lower right hand corner of my screen saying "Norton Antivirus is currently performing background tasks." I have no clue what has caused that little box to popup. but there is an "x" in the upper right hand corner of the box and when I click on it, the box would disappear. That is until today! Now that box appears to be stuck in the lower right hand corner of my screen. Clicking on the "x" does not make it go away and I can't even move it to another location on my screen. It is not only annoying, but for some programs there are things that I need to be able to see and click on in that corner, but the Norton box keeps me from being able to do that.

I hope someone has an idea of how I can get rid of this...other than removing Norton all together and switching to McAfee!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,692 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Mar-2009, 11:38 AM #2
Which version of Norton Antivirus do you have? If you have any other version of Norton Antivirus other then the 2009 version you are eligible to a free upgrade to the 2009 version. You caa download it here: http://www.symantec.com/norton/suppo...ed_nav=1&pvid=

Even if you do have the 2009 version it may have not installed correctly or removed the old version correctly. In that case go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall all entries related to Norton Antivirus, Symantec, LiveUpdate and LiveReg. and reboot as needed. Then run the Symantec Removal Tool from here to cleanup the left overs: http://www.symantec.com/norton/suppo...080828154508EN

Then reinstall the downloaded version of Norton Antivirus 2009 from the link I gave above.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Mar-2009, 11:52 AM #3
Thank you for your reply. I did get the free upgrade to NAV 2009 (or at least I think I did since it looks and acts totally different than before I renewed my subscription.) It has been working fine until this morning when the little box got stuck in the corner. I have, at least for the time being, solved the problem by opening NAV, clicking on "settings", changing "idle time scan" from "weekly" to "off" and then rebooting my computer. I have since gone back into NAV and changed Idle time scan back to weekly.

If the box comes back again and gets stuck, I will do as you suggested.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!