Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How can I delete a program that is not showing up in Programs & Features'

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
22-Mar-2009, 09:33 PM #1
Solved: How can I delete a program that is not showing up in Programs & Features'
I started on Turbo Tax '08 then had problems with a trojan virus. After the repair, Turbo Tax was gone. I found where I had saved the files, but the files wouldn't open.

I was going to start my taxes from the beginning. I attempted to install Turbo Tax again from the original disk, but got a message that Turbo Tax was already installed. It further said to go to Programs & Features to delete the program, then insert the disk to install.

I went to Programs & Features and cannot find Turbo Tax in the installed programs. Turbo Tax is still showing up in c:/program files. I deleted those files, but the Turbo Tax disk is still saying that I need to uninstall the program before I can reinstall it. What am I missing here? Is there any way to uninstall a program that is not showing up in "Programs & Features?" My OS is Vista.
Senior Member with 1,320 posts.

Experience: Once, again if I like it
22-Mar-2009, 09:40 PM #2
Check also under \PROGRAMDATA\ and \USERS\yourusername\APPDATA\ROAMING\ for Intuit/TurboTax related stuff. Be sure to reboot before retrying installing.

If that does not do it, there's a few more things to try, but that may just do it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Mar-2009, 10:08 PM #3
If you don't uninstall it properly, it will leave remnants and possibly prevent you from ever installing a newer version.

The best way to get rid of an app like that is to re-run the installer. Usually, there will be an option to remove or to repair the application. If it will remove it, do that. If not, reinstall it to repair the uninstaller and place the entry in Programs and Features. It would be almost impossible to find all the files and the multiple locations on the drive and in the registry where they are all stored. Many registry entries, for example, will not even mention the app by name, but only by its installer number.
Computer Specs

22-Mar-2009, 10:14 PM #4
Thanks, AKA. I tried all of your suggestions, then tried to reinstall. It still says that Turbo Tax '08 is already installed and to remove it through Programs & Features.

I used the term loosely when I said that I deleted Turbo Tax from my program files. I consulted another newbie/dummie and we concluded that in order to delete the file, all I have to do is highlight the file and hit delete <blush>.

I will be happy to go online and start my taxes all over, but will I have the same problem?
Computer Specs

22-Mar-2009, 10:19 PM #5
Elvandil - this is getting more and more embarrassing. I know very little about computers. I am not sure what you mean by re-run the installer. Do you mean the Turbo Tax disk? If so, it will not let me re-install because of an existing program.
Computer Specs

22-Mar-2009, 10:38 PM #6
Yes, that's what I meant, and what I was afraid might happen. You may not be able to install next year's version, either.

So the Program Files folder for TurboTax is completely gone now?
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 12:24 AM #7
It is fixed!!! I was reading this forum and came across a question about removing registry files. Someone suggested downloading Windows Install Clean Up program. I had that program at one time, but the virus must have wiped it out.

I downloaded the program and instructed it to remove the Turbo Tax files. Much to my surprise it worked. I was still skeptical until I successfully downloaded Turbo Tax. I even filled out a few questions to make sure. Turbo Tax is now showing in Programs and Features.

It did not save last year's information, but I have that. Meanwhile, I'm doing the Happy Snoopy Dance.

Thanks everyone for all of your help and suggestions.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 01:50 PM #8
Very good. That was to be my next suggestion, though I still didn't know for sure if the program used the Windows installer. But I'd suggest that in the future, you try Safe Mode or any other method to try to get the original uninstaller to work. Not all programs use the Windows installer and you may not be so lucky next time.

Congratulations.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 10:43 PM #9
At this point, I am beyond embarrassment. When I saw Windows and/or Microsoft, I assumed it was safe.

Your response brought up another question. When a program ends abruptly, the screen comes up in safe mode. I'm not even sure what that means or how to get to safe mode. I read the tech explaination, but it was all foreign. Just curious - if I need to post in another thread, let me know. Thanks again for everything.
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2009, 11:03 PM #10
Sorry. What did you assume was safe?

Safe Mode is a reduced mode of operation where only minimal parts of the operating system are loaded. Most drivers are not loaded so only minimal hardware will work. A minimal graphics driver is loaded, so the screen may be larger or have a lower resolution.

If a problem arises from a driver that loads at boot time, sometimes entering Safe Mode will get you to where you can work on the problem and remove the driver when Windows would not load if the driver were loaded, too. If some pesky startup program prevents you from entering normal mode, you can sometimes get in with Safe Mode to remove it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!