Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Java 6 Update 13 Install and Uninstall missing file

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-May-2009, 12:12 AM #1
Solved: Java 6 Update 13 Install and Uninstall missing file
Java 6 Update 13 did not work with games. Read to uninstall all previous versions, did that but did not work. Used Sys. Restore which crashed during running. Ghost files of all Java were there. Used JavRa and Windows Cleaner to remove them but Java 6 update 13 ghost remained but would not work. Java control panel would not open. Installed Java 6 and can access JCP through programs/Java/Bin.

No matter if I try to uninstall or reinstall Java 6 update 13 I receive the message that it cannot find jre1.6.0_10-c.msi. Installing Java 6 update 10 did not work. Using Revo I received the same message that it needed jre1.6.0_10-c.msi to uninstall.

Any idea how I can get jre1.6.0_10-c.msi on my system so I can uninstall or install Java 6 Update 13?
Member with 3,896 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-May-2009, 06:56 AM #2
java
uninstall all java listed on the add/remove program ,RESTART ,download and run javaRA ,this will delete any old java files ,RESART, download and install the new java 6-13.

http://majorgeeks.com/JavaRa_d5967.html

http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/
Computer Specs

19-May-2009, 02:00 AM #3
Java 6 Update 13 Install and Uninstall missing file
Thank you for your reply. Had already tried the fixes you suggested but tried them again. Still no luck.

I uninstalled Java 6 but again when I tried to uninstall Java 6 Update 13 that is stuck in my add/remove programs as a ghost file I was again told it cannot find jre1.6.0_10-c.msi installation package.

I then downloaded JavRa and ran that program, restarted and downloaded Java 6 Update 13 and received the message that I already had Java 6 Update 13 installed and do I want to reinstall it. I said yes and when it started uninstalling to reinstall it said it cannot find jre1.6.0_10-c.msi installation package.

I searched for any JRE files I could on my drive and found prefetch files for Java 6 and Java 6 Update 13 and Patch.JRE.exe Prefetch file...can I delete these?

Also found a folder jre1.6.0.b105 from April that has 3 core.zip files full of Java items in Bin files. It was located in Program Files/Common Files.

Not sure what to do now.
Member with 3,896 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-May-2009, 06:24 AM #4
java
i never had that problem ,sorry.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-May-2009, 01:28 PM #5
Follow these steps in this order:

Go into Add Or Remove Programs and uninstall are versions of Java that are present.

Go into C:\PROGRAM FILES and delete the entire JAVA folder.

Restart.

Install version 1.6.0.13.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

19-May-2009, 06:23 PM #6
Java 6 Update 13 Install and Uninstall missing file
Flavallee, I am fairly sure I had already deleted the Java Folder under Programs. I'm not home to double-check right now but will in a couple of hours.

Should I also delete the file that was in Programs/Common Files/Java and was not in the Java folder? (jre1.6.0.b105 from April that has 3 core.zip files full of Java items in Bin files.) Or should I leave that alone?

Thank you for your help
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-May-2009, 06:31 PM #7
Empty out that Java folder too. That's an old version.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

20-May-2009, 09:41 PM #8
Still No Luck
Okay I tried doing everything suggested. I also ran the windows install clean up program again and I was able to get rid of the old 1.6.0.13 ghost file in add/remove programs. I restarted and tried installing 1.6.0.13
again but it said "this software has already been installed on your system do you want to reinstall" so I said yes and then a new message saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed".

I looked online and found a few other people who had had that problem and the way they remedied it was to delete the following in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software> JavaSoft
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software> JavaSoft

I tried that but was only able to delete the JavaSoft folder under the HKEY current user. Hoping that would help I tried installing Java again but that didn't work and I got the same messages. Any other ideas?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

05-Jun-2009, 02:12 PM #9
try JavaRa?
Have you tried to run the java removal tool JavaRa again? You can download it here: http://raproducts.org/

ALso, you can try these instructions:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-295773.php
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-21.html

Hope one of these help. I have the same problem and might just re-format
Member with 5,645 posts.

05-Jun-2009, 03:31 PM #10
I don't know if it will help, but the very latest Sun Java version (6 Update 14 issued on 29th May) includes a routine to uninstall earlier versions, so it might be worth trying. It's the second one down on this page; http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Computer Specs

12-Jun-2009, 12:54 PM #11
Java Working!
Thank you all for your input.

TOGG thank you for letting me know about the new Java version. I kept thinking if only Java would come out with a new version maybe that would override all the leftover Java I was unable to remove from my system.

It worked! The latest Sun Java version 6 Update 14 installed just fine and I am now up and running.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!