Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Turning off a laptop touchpad


(!)

mygoose's Avatar
mygoose mygoose is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 357 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Experience: Beginner
13-Jun-2009, 12:44 AM #1
Turning off a laptop touchpad
Please would someone mind telling me how to turn off the touchpad on an Asus laptop when using an external mouse.

mygoose
Nick Tompson's Avatar
Nick Tompson Nick Tompson is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Experience: Programmer/Web Developer
13-Jun-2009, 01:31 AM #2
Hello,

We can disable the touchpad permanately.
Do you know what type/brand of touchpad your Asus laptop is installed with?
mygoose's Avatar
mygoose mygoose is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 357 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Experience: Beginner
13-Jun-2009, 01:57 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tompson View Post
Hello,

We can disable the touchpad permanately.
Do you know what type/brand of touchpad your Asus laptop is installed with?
Hello Nick

I haven't got access to it at the minute so don't know type of touchpad or Asus model.

Sorry
mygoose
Nick Tompson's Avatar
Nick Tompson Nick Tompson is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Experience: Programmer/Web Developer
13-Jun-2009, 02:20 AM #4
No problem. Would you like to learn how to disable the touchpad permanately, or you would only like to disable it when a mouse is in use?
mygoose's Avatar
mygoose mygoose is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 357 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Experience: Beginner
13-Jun-2009, 02:28 AM #5
Hello Nick

Thanks.

Would you mind telling me both?

mygoose
Nick Tompson's Avatar
Nick Tompson Nick Tompson is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Experience: Programmer/Web Developer
13-Jun-2009, 02:52 AM #6
I cannot tell you how to disable it when a mouse is in use until I know the touchpad make & model etc, as I do not know for sure if it is possible for your specific touchpad device.

However, in order to disable the device permanately, follow these steps:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. In the Open box type "devmgmt.msc" and then click OK.
3. In Device Manager, expand the section Mice and other pointing devices, and then double click your touchpad device.
4. If you are using Windows XP, go to step 5. If you are using Windows Vista or higher, go to step 6.
5. For Windows XP, under Device Usage select Do not use this device (disable) and then click OK.
6. For Windows Vista or higher, click the Driver tab and then click Disable. Click OK.

The touchpad will now be permanately disabled, until you re-enable it again.
mygoose's Avatar
mygoose mygoose is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 357 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Experience: Beginner
13-Jun-2009, 05:40 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tompson View Post
I cannot tell you how to disable it when a mouse is in use until I know the touchpad make & model etc, as I do not know for sure if it is possible for your specific touchpad device.

However, in order to disable the device permanately, follow these steps:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. In the Open box type "devmgmt.msc" and then click OK.
3. In Device Manager, expand the section Mice and other pointing devices, and then double click your touchpad device.
4. If you are using Windows XP, go to step 5. If you are using Windows Vista or higher, go to step 6.
5. For Windows XP, under Device Usage select Do not use this device (disable) and then click OK.
6. For Windows Vista or higher, click the Driver tab and then click Disable. Click OK.

The touchpad will now be permanately disabled, until you re-enable it again.
Hello Nick

Thanks very much

mygoose
mygoose's Avatar
mygoose mygoose is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 357 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Experience: Beginner
15-Jun-2009, 07:21 AM #8
Thanks but I've looked at this in Vista and the disable button is blanked out?

Rgds
mygoose
mygoose's Avatar
mygoose mygoose is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 357 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Experience: Beginner
15-Jun-2009, 12:47 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygoose View Post
Thanks but I've looked at this in Vista and the disable button is blanked out?

Rgds
mygoose
Hello Nick

I noticed that you came on line today.

Any reply to this please?

Many thanks
mygoose
Nick Tompson's Avatar
Nick Tompson Nick Tompson is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Experience: Programmer/Web Developer
16-Jun-2009, 04:51 AM #10
Sorry, please excuse me

Okay since you now have access to the laptop, can you provide me with the touchpad manufacturer's name?
mygoose's Avatar
mygoose mygoose is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 357 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Experience: Beginner
16-Jun-2009, 06:42 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tompson View Post
Sorry, please excuse me

Okay since you now have access to the laptop, can you provide me with the touchpad manufacturer's name?
Hello Nick

Thanks but no I haven't access to the laptop yet but I was aware that the disable function was "missing" and I've looked at it in Vista on other laptops and it would help to know why it is blanked out.

Thanks
mygoose
Nick Tompson's Avatar
Nick Tompson Nick Tompson is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Experience: Programmer/Web Developer
16-Jun-2009, 06:48 AM #12
Doing some research suggests that the key combination FN + F9 disables the touchpad on ASUS laptops.

However until the specific touchpad (perhaps its Synaptics?) it is hard for me to tell you how to specifically disable it.
mygoose's Avatar
mygoose mygoose is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 357 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Experience: Beginner
16-Jun-2009, 07:07 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tompson View Post
Doing some research suggests that the key combination FN + F9 disables the touchpad on ASUS laptops.

However until the specific touchpad (perhaps its Synaptics?) it is hard for me to tell you how to specifically disable it.
Hello Nick

Originally, apparently the Fn + F9 combination isn't working hence the reason for seeking an alternative.

I doubt as if I will be able to find the specific make of touchpad and in any case all of those I've looked at it doesn't say. The best I could probably do would be to find the model of Asus laptop.

Could you not tell me why the Disable in your previous steps is blanked out?

"6. For Windows Vista or higher, click the Driver tab and then click Disable. Click OK."


Thanks for help
mygoose
Nick Tompson's Avatar
Nick Tompson Nick Tompson is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Experience: Programmer/Web Developer
16-Jun-2009, 07:25 AM #14
It's possible the touchpad driver is disabling the button.
You may try playing around with Control Panel -> Mouse and see if there any settings for the touchpad there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑