Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: I can't print adobe attachments in g-mail

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Jun-2009, 10:01 AM #1
Solved: I can't print adobe attachments in g-mail
When I receive an adobe attachment in gmail, there are 3 options at the bottom of the e-mail for me to choose from in order to open it (the idobe icon, "view" and "download"). Whichever one I pick, it ends up opening a word document (Word 2007), and the preview just appears to be programming jargon. In one of the options (view, I think) I can view it just fine, but when I try to print it, again it goes to a word document, and I get the programming jargon again.

I can read my adobe attachments, but I can't print any of my adobe attachments.

Any ideas? Thanks.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,101 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jun-2009, 10:07 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1234 View Post
Any ideas?
Any ideas as to what kind of Adobe attachments are giving you the problem? Adobe makes several different applications that each can output one or more different file formats.
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2009, 11:17 PM #3
Adobe printing problem
Hi:

Thanks for responding to my question.

I'm not sure what type of adobe it is - although it does refer to Adobe Acrobat. If it helps, I've copied how the e-mail that I received refers to it:

Attached is the travel voucher you requested. To ensure
proper viewing and printing, the voucher was formatted using Adobe
Acrobat.
If you already have Acrobat Reader installed, click on the attachment to
view or print.
Acrobat is a free program and may be obtained from
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
Various Windows, Mac and Unix versions are available in eight different
languages. Typical download time
on a 28.8K baud modem is approximately 24 minutes.

HO597659.pdf
10K View Download
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2009, 11:21 PM #4
Do you know if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader (or any other PDF file reader) installed on your computer?

Do you have any kind of files with an Adobe Acrobat .PDF file name extension saved on your computer? If so, what happens when you try to open them?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,536 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2009, 09:51 AM #5
David:

If you're going to receive, view, and print out PDF documents, you need to have Adobe Reader installed.

It's a "must have" program that every computer user should have. Many on-line user manuals and other documents are in PDF format, so it's needed to read them.

You can download it from here.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2009, 10:14 AM #6
Adobe printing problem
Hi Chuck:

Thanks a lot so far - with your suggestions I've managed to print one adobe document that I've needed !!

But let me back up a little bit. I have downloaded Adobe 9 recently, and it sits on my desktop.

I followed your suggestion of looking for adobe files that I had saved and I did find some. However, when I went to open them, I got the same thing (a word document with what looks like computer programming to me). BUT, when I opened my Adobe 9 program from my desktop FIRST, and THEN opened one of those saved adobe files through the "file" or perhaps "open" tab at the top left of the Adobe 9 program, it opened, AND it printed.

So, then I saved my recently received (and important) adobe attachment from g-mail as a desktop item. (I thought I had tried to save it in the past, but it would only try to open it, but I'm not sure if that happened.) Anyway, that adobe attachement did save on my desktop. So, I opened Acrobat 9 again, then opened the saved adobe file now residing on my desktop, and it opened and it PRINTED !! So - thank you very much !!

So now I seem to have a way to open my adobe files. I guess there is only one more thing that would make it perfect. I remember in the past on previous laptops, I would just try to open any adobe file, and the machine would seem to know how to find the program that it needed without me opening tha program first. Is it possible that something is missing on my current machine that somehow makes that connection automatically?

Anyway, thanks again for getting me this far !!

David
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2009, 12:37 PM #7
It sounds like Windows has the wrong program associated with PDF files. Try right clicking on one of the PDF files. You should get a pop-up menu that offers an "Open With ..." choice that should then let you choose which program you wan to use to open it as well have a check box to let Windows (and your e-mail software) know to use that particular program to open a PDF file every time. If Acrobat reader does not show up as one of the program choices, you may need to navigate to it in the program selection menu.

FWiW, some people believe that the last few versions of Acrobat reader are bloated and a bit slow. There are some lightweight third party PDF reader applications.
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2009, 02:21 PM #8
Smile printing adobe files
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

It's now perfect. When I went to open a current adobe file, I DID right click and it asked about opening it with Acrobat 9. I clicked it and it opened it just fine.

Better yet, I tried again, and noticed with the right click that there was also a default option, so I made it Adobe 9. I noticed that the other adobe files flickered a little. Now they all automatically open just fine. AND, even in g-mail, they open just fine when I just click on them.

PERFECT !!!

YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN !!!
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2009, 06:48 PM #9
You are very welcome.

Than you for marking it as solved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!