Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Installing programmes to a computer without a CD Drive

(!)

Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Jun-2009, 05:07 PM #1
Installing programmes to a computer without a CD Drive
Having bought a new UMPC XP windows computer without a drive I "mistakenly" thought it would be a fairly simple matter to copy programmes like "Outlook" "Quicken" etc to a usb flash drive and simply install them from the USB drive onto the hard drive of the new computer. Boy was I wrong.

Some programmes that I own like "Laplink Gold" do have a remote installer however it is geared to copy an executable disk to a Floppy, remember those?

So please can anybody tell me how copy my CD programme software to a bootable flash drive and make the flash drive executable?

Before anybody rightfully warns me, according to the licences I am allowed to run this software on three machines.

Thank You

Roy
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
13-Jun-2009, 05:15 PM #2
What OS would you install to the USB drive? It would run so slow that you would be perennially frustrated.

Almost all programs will need to be installed into the new OS and they cannot be moved effectively. They will run (very slowly) from a USB flash drive if they are virtualized with Ceedo or similar.

14-Jun-2009, 02:50 AM #3
Dear Elvandil,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The UMPC operates on Windows XP.

All I wish to do is to load a copy of an original programme that is presently contained on a CD onto the hard drive of the UMPC which does have a USB port but does NOT have a CD drive, the flash drive appeared to offer the simplest method.

I do not wish to run or operate the programme from the flash drive I was merely using it as a method of transferring files.

However having manually copied all of the files contained on the original CD to the flash drive and then down loaded those into a new folder that I created in the C./Programme/ Folders of the UMPC hard drive. Alas, I could not get the programmes to run or even start even though the executable file was contained in the folder.

Normally, of course the CD starts and installs all of the files automatically and presuambly inserts an entry in the computers registry?

So far I tried this method with two separate programmes Quicken and Laplink without success.

What am I doing wrong ? How do I make the USB Flash drive start and load the files properly and automatically like the original CD they were copied from?

Roy
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2009, 06:06 AM #4
USB external CD/DVD drive should work. I don't think something like Quicken will ever let you make a copy onto something else to try and install from.

A possible alternative for Quicken is to see if Quicken Online will work for you. Many prominent companies are starting online components of thier products which are often free and can be used for all the basic needs that many people have.

14-Jun-2009, 09:58 AM #5
Dear fairnooks,

Thank you for your reply although you appear to have misunderstood my dilema: which is that I only have a USB flash drive and not a CD drive..

I do happen to have a "firewire" portable CDdrive but the cost of any adaptor to USB is about sixty bucks!

I appreciate your input

Roy
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

14-Jun-2009, 02:08 PM #6
Any other method than installation from a CD drive, for CDs that are copy protected, won't work. Otherwise it would install from the USB key or from your hard drive once its copied. You can try making an ISO of the CD on a computer with a CD drive, and copy that ISO to the UMPC and load it in an emulated CD drive and install from there, but again, if its copy protected software its only going to work from the original CD.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,220 posts.

Experience: Can handle a mouse
14-Jun-2009, 02:32 PM #7
themarinesurveyo,

You could use a CD/DVD emulator program such as Daemon Tools Lite (see link below) to create an ISO image of the program which you can copy to your flash drive (assuming your flash drive is large enough) then to the UMPC.

Again using Daemon Tools Lite, "Mount" the image on the UMPC.

The UMPC should then think there is a CD drive installed which contains the program CD. You should then be able to install the software.

http://download.cnet.com/Daemon-Tool...html?tag=mncol

{Oops, I seem to have repeated what fairnooks suggested}
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

14-Jun-2009, 03:45 PM #8
You may be able to get to where you want to go with some of the suggestions above, I don't know about emulators and such, but I suggest this will not be last time you will have need for a CD/DVD drive. Other than downloading an executable, a CD/DVD drive is by far the best way to install programs. You can transfer files for a given program using a Flash drive, but the program application MUST be installed in order to open those files which were created by that program (i.e. Quicken, Word, etc). A CD/DVD (I prefer DVD because it can read both) read/write drive will add very handy capabilities to your system beyond an easy and efficient method of installing programs. I can't imagine not having at least one and preferably two, optical drives.

the Firewire CD drive you mentioned would probably be adequate to the current task, but a DVD burner would give you much more utility for future use.

If you have an open bay available on the tower where you can install an internal optical drive, click here for some ideas and prices. If you desire a USB external optical drive, click here for some ideas and prices.

Raybro
Member with 1,691 posts.

14-Jun-2009, 04:34 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarinesurveyo View Post
Alas, I could not get the programmes to run or even start even though the executable file was contained in the folder.
Roy
How, exactly, are you trying to start the installation? Normally, double clicking the "setup.exe" file will fire it up and install the program.

14-Jun-2009, 08:28 PM #10
Dear Ratboy, DVOM, Raybro and Fainooks,
Thank you all so much for your inputs and your helpful advice.
I contacted Quicken and once I gave them my serial number they approved a download. Easy ((-:

However I still have NOT heard from our friends at Microsoft with regards to Outlook.

Special thanks to Raybro for posting a link where i can purchase a USB external CD may be easier than waiting for a reply from Microsoft.

Onece again Thanks to all it was much appreciated.

Roy
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

14-Jun-2009, 11:08 PM #11
Quote:
Special thanks to Raybro for posting a link where i can purchase a USB external CD may be easier than waiting for a reply from Microsoft.

Roy
You are very welcome. Don't forget the additional advantage of never having this problem again if you purchase the external drive.

Raybro

BTW... You could get old a gray before you here from M$

15-Jun-2009, 08:42 PM #12
Dear BTW,

Sad to say that I am already old and grey (Brit Spelling intended)

((-:

Roy
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

16-Jun-2009, 11:03 AM #13
Quote:
Dear BTW,

Sad to say that I am already old and grey (Brit Spelling intended)

((-:

Roy
No consolation, but you are not alone... on either side of the "Pond". All the more reason to go for it NOW.

Raybro
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!