Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

RAM Recovery

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

24-Jun-2002, 09:11 PM #1
RAM Recovery
Got a few questions on RAM recovery programs...

1) What do they do? Besides recover RAM

2) Are they worth getting?

3) If they are worth getting which one should I invest in?

Thanks in advance
Account Disabled with 4,888 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jun-2002, 03:21 AM #2
There are several freee ram recovery applications on http://www.download.com. You wouldn't want to buy one, they're not that effective.
Attached Files
File Type: txt stophack.txt (830 Bytes, 163 views)
Member with 6,832 posts.

25-Jun-2002, 08:04 AM #3
With the RAM recovery programs you set a point where it will recover RAM. Say you tell it to keep 30% of your RAM available. When over 70% of your RAM is in use the memory recovery program makes a high priority RAM call as if it was a program needing the RAM and then it releases the RAM. Now you have 30% of your RAM free as you told it.

All of these programs are vestiges of Win95. Win95 would use RAM for the cache and then not give it back when programs needed it. They fixed the problem in Win98 and the RAM recovery programs are something you donít want to install.

People look at their available RAM in system monitor or some simple monitor program and see that they have only 3Mb of available RAM. They think they are running out of RAM and that they need to somehow recover it. A good part of the used RAM is likely being used by Windows for cache and is available instantly for programs.

Most of the time the memory manager programs just dump the cache. It slows you a little but isnít a big deal. If you are using a RAM intensive program like Photoshop however, the memory managers will butt heads with the program and take memory away, causing you to make premature writes to the hard drive and slowing you considerably.

If you donít have Win95 on your computer avoid the Mem/RAM/Turbo/Boost things like the plague. Especially avoid Cacheman. It now will screw up your RAM like the traditional RAM recovery programs and retains its original role of screwing up your vcache.
Member with 128 posts.

25-Jun-2002, 06:23 PM #4
Hmmm......
I ahve Dr Salsman power tools on my computer and it come with a ram recovery tool. I like it. I think it works great. I just pull it up when I'm having alot of slowdown and ytell it to recover my ram and all of a sudden I'm running smoothly again. I tried mem turbo and didn't like that one however it seemed to be slowing my computer down.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!