Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Firefox opens multiple tabs upon start up

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Jul-2009, 03:43 PM #1
Firefox opens multiple tabs upon start up
I use version 3.5.1 When I open firefox it opens with multiple tabs.I tried to find the answer in the FF helpcentre however it's rather confusing for me. I looked at the answer for this problem "preferences not saved" and followed the steps in order to resolve the issue and have been looking to the prefs.js files in the profile folder but none exist Help indicates that those files may be duplicated or corrupted. Also the help centre indicates that if those files are corrupted the preferences are not being saved.I am sure that is the issue but I cannot resolve it.I reinstalled FF several times but the result is the same. Is here a FF user that is able to help in simple words.
I disabled all addons but no result.
My OS Windows Vista Home premium My Laptop:Toshiba Satellite P 200 dual core T5450 Ram 2GB processor 1,66 Ghz I use FF for many years but eversince the 3.5 version was introduced i have this problem. Thanks in advance
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jul-2009, 04:21 PM #2
Have you tried closing all the open tabs before closing FF?

Raybro
rqdth1 rqdth1 is offline rqdth1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 127 posts.

28-Jul-2009, 04:30 PM #3
Raybro already hit it. If you use multiple tabs, your FireFox browser may be continuing from the last session. If this is not the case, please tell us what the content of the tabs is.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
28-Jul-2009, 07:30 PM #4
the solution may be a simple oversight, you can choose a homepage as your start page OR multiple tabs as your homepage, you may just have the later selected

> tools
> options
> main tab
> start up box, drop down beside "when firefox starts" has 3 options, make sure you don't have "show my windows and tabs from last time" selected. Either of the others should give you just a single page / tab when firefox starts up
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2009, 03:06 AM #5
thanks for your quick reply The page is set as show my home page which shows Google .Before I close FF all tabs are closed.Just to be sure that this could nt be the issue.If I open the second box TAB (next to the main tab I see some options also. The upper is unselected and the last is unselected.
I have a feeling that when I am in the main Tab page and click set to default or set to use current page it is not saved,when I click ok nothing seems to happen.
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,430 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jul-2009, 07:14 AM #6
Try opening it in the Firefox "safe mode" and see if the issue persists. If it opens normally without all the tabs, then it could be either a conflict with an add-on or a corrupted profile.
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2009, 03:41 PM #7
Hi laura Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you mean or how to start FF in the FF safe mode. What I did is run windows in the safe mode but than the FF page cannot be openend as there is no internet connection. That might not be what you ment I guess. I also disabled all addons however that does not make any difference. How can a profile be corrupted? I just reinstalled Windows Vista completely and reinstalled FF.
There is no user.js file to edit This is suggested in the help option of FF
Hopefully we will find the solution.
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,430 posts.

29-Jul-2009, 04:22 PM #8
Firefox safe mode can be accessed by going to start > all programs > Firefox > safe mode. This will run it in it's most basic form.

If you still have the problem in the safe mode, post back and we'll describe how to create a new profile in firefox to try.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 04:12 AM #9
I ran FF in the safe mode and this shows to be fine. Does this mean that in my situation I only can run FF in its basic mode to avoid this problem?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
30-Jul-2009, 06:07 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyotr View Post
I ran FF in the safe mode and this shows to be fine. Does this mean that in my situation I only can run FF in its basic mode to avoid this problem?
No. It means you have to disable all of your add-ons and start re-enabling them one at a time and testing to find out which one is the culprit.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 03:51 PM #11
That is what i did already in the first place but none of my addons seem to conflict with FF
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Aug-2009, 06:43 PM #12
I found out multiple tabs are caused by command-line URLs with pipes ( | ). I had the same problem after updating Firefox and a few add-ins....the "you have updated" websites kept returning as multiple tabs.(Or multiple windows when multiple tabs were deactivated). I eliminated the Mozilla folders in all of my users' applications folders (example: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla ) Note: you must have "show hidden files" checked in your tools\folder options\ view to see these folders. This eliminates all add-ins, so you have to re install add-ins....but it eliminates the problem of multiple folders appearing on FF startup.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!