Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Error loading operating system

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Sep-2009, 03:27 PM #1
Error loading operating system
Hello, My two month old acer aspire 5735z is giving the above message when I boot up,I get a black screen a flashing curser an the message-error loading operating system ,I did not make a recovery disc (I know!).

I took it back to p.c. world but they wanted 60 to sort it .

Is there any recovery software I can use to fix or reformat (last option),

Thanks for reading ,Tinbasher,.........o.s. is vista basic

Last edited by tinbasher; 10-Sep-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,221 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 04:00 PM #2
Hi & welcome,
If it's PC in the UK and it's 2 months old it's still under warranty. They should fix it for free or give you a free replacement. If you paid by credit card you have got additional rights. Are you a member of Which? or better still Which Legal services? They offer great support.

Don't let PC World fob you off!

Richard
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 04:06 PM #3
Fob off
The guys on the tech desk said it was a software prob. and that because I hadnt made a recover disc they were entitled to charge me for either recovery or reformat ,as the backup disc is advised but 60 is a bit steep,there must be something I can do. cheers.

Last edited by tinbasher; 10-Sep-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,221 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 04:19 PM #4
How do they know it's software?? That is a lame excuse. Could they show you on the sales document the legal necessity of running off recovery discs within two months? I think not!!

If it were me I'd have a full and full and frank exchange of views with the manager at PC World.

However, that may not suit you and you want a way forward now ...

With all the paperwork that came with it, is there a customer support number for Acer? or an email addr?

I'm just worried that if you try too many of your own (well researched) solutions you may run into warranty issues later on if the supplier/manufacturer wasn't given the opportunity to rectify the problem.

Pleae keep notes of dates/times/names of PC World / Acer conversations to back up your complaint (just in case!!).

Richard
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 04:36 PM #5
yeah,I know your right ,I usually complain at the drop of a hat but with p.c,s theres so much grey area with fault liability that I feel they have me by the sphericals,I get baffled by the jargon and cant back my arguements up like they can(more back up probs.).
They took one look and said ,Oh yeah , software ,60 quid.

A friend had a similar prob. When he took it back he was told he must have downloaded something dodgy of the net and got a virus so not thier fault, 40 quid please!
Acer do say in thier bumf that no discs are supplied and a recovery disc should be made ,but p.c.world made no mention of this,I do feel I have a weak case,guess its back to pester the manager. cheers.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 11:28 PM #6
You can download a Vista RE (Recovery Environment) disk from NeoSmart (120 MiB) and run Startup Repair, or if you have a copy of the Windows 7 Beta or RC disk, you can also run Startup Repair from it. There is also a 90 day trial of Win7 Enterprise available for download from MS (2.24 GiB, so if your usage is metered that might not be an option).
  • Boot with the DVD
  • Select your language and click Next
  • Click Repair your Computer
  • After it scans for Windows installations click Next (Win7: Select Top option first)
  • Click Startup Repair.
new tech guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

11-Sep-2009, 05:45 PM #7
I cant stand this, have it here with bestbuy, recently had some family purchase a new laptop (needed it for school) from the local bestbuy. Person in the store tryin to sell gs service tried to pull a confusing speech of jargon+buzzwords on them and they told the guy off as they wanted me to do the setup for them. But he tried to be technical with them in a cheap attempt i beleive to confuse them into buying the service, even going as far to say that i dont know what im doing (fixed up plenty of pcs before plus studying it in school) but its rediculous how they get you, id tell them the pc is new and should be serviced by warranty, both the store and acer will prob try to argue that its outside coverage.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2009, 09:03 AM #8
pc world would not budge on thier "should have made a recovery disk stance".To a point I agree ,if you are prompted to make backup and recovery disks when you first get the pc and dont then you have less of an arguement,trouble is when you are a newbie as I am and you cant wait to get started it can be tempting to postpone the disk making -which I did! (do they bank on you making this mistake?).
Any way lucky for me the fault got worse after trying a few times to reboot thru d2d mode in dos the error changed to "cannot access disk".
This was diagnosed as a hard drive fault bu pc world who then replaced the drive.
When I got it back I thought right this time make a back up and recovery disk straight away as I have a new drive and os but when i tried thru the acer backup software suplied it wouldnt let me the disk ran for hours ,froze the screen and wrote nothing,I emailed acer support ,they said that the new os probably had not had the backup software loaded properly and that the backup partition was not loaded right,they said go back to pc world and ask thier techguys to repair it.
I did this but guess what, p.c. world said that I should fix it with my own recovery disk (which i do not have)as the second os would have been loaded from a mirror of my original os and if i wanted a recovery disk i had to buy one. This must do Currys and pc world no end of damage with dissatisfied customers,also acer online support just tell you that all the warranty issues are handed over to pc world. I will try the above advice as regards making a recovery disk.Any opinions on the best place to buy pc /electronic stuff in future?

cheers.B
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!