Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How Do I Turn Off Read Only & Keep It Off?

(!)

Member with 116 posts.

01-Oct-2009, 05:45 AM #1
Unhappy How Do I Turn Off Read Only & Keep It Off?
Hi,

I was trying to move Outlook Express folders from one computer to another. After I copied them to another hard drive, they became "read only". I learned how to turn that off by going to the files properties & unchecking it. However, as soon as I close the properties box, the file reverts right back to read onlly. How do I turn it off & keep it off? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Oct-2009, 07:25 AM #2
The 'read only' checkbox means nothing in WinXP, you can safely ignore it. Permissions are set using ACLs.

If I remember correctly, the Read Only mechanism in the properties window uses n attribute bit from FAT filesystems (pre-NTFS). This bit exists in both filesystems, but is always set to '1' by default by NTFS and then ignored, presumably as a result of designing NTFS such that FAT filesystems can be converted into it.

If you are having trouble moving the file, you need to look at the ACLs in the 'security' tab of the 'properties' window.
Member with 116 posts.

01-Oct-2009, 12:56 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordandmaker View Post
The 'read only' checkbox means nothing in WinXP, you can safely ignore it. Permissions are set using ACLs.

If I remember correctly, the Read Only mechanism in the properties window uses n attribute bit from FAT filesystems (pre-NTFS). This bit exists in both filesystems, but is always set to '1' by default by NTFS and then ignored, presumably as a result of designing NTFS such that FAT filesystems can be converted into it.

If you are having trouble moving the file, you need to look at the ACLs in the 'security' tab of the 'properties' window.
Thank you for your reply.

I went to the properties window for the file in question. There is no security tab. There are only 3 tabs--General, Sharing, & Customize. I don't see anything about ACLs on any of them. However, the sharing tab seemed to indicate that the file was restricted from being shared among users. So I ran a wizard that changed that & on the Sharing tab I checked 2 boxes--Share this folder on the network & Allow network users to change my files. It didn't do any good. I still can't import the file to Outlook Express.
Member with 116 posts.

01-Oct-2009, 01:04 PM #4
What does ACL stand for?
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Oct-2009, 04:12 PM #5
ACL = Access Control List

The Read Only bit on a Folder tells Windows to look for a desktop.ini file, which is used if the folder has been customized. It's can't be unset from the GUI, only the command line. Unsetting it will remove any customizations or special features for the folder.
You can change it on a file, though many programs ignore the read only bit anyways.

Being Read Only won't prevent you from importing though -- you can still read it after all.

If you don't see a Security tab, then either the file system is FAT32, or you have XP Home. In XP Home, you have to boot to Safe Mode to see the Security tab.

Did you export the emails first, or are you moving the .dbx files to a different PC?

The most common problem after moving files to a different PC is getting Access Denied messages because of the ACL settings being for a different PC. In that case you just need to take ownership of the files:
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
And this may be useful as well:
How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
acl, outlook express, read only files

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!